• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the mint going a little overboard ?

27 posts in this topic

I've been mostly collecting MS70 ASEs, but have started adding PFs. Going thru my registry set for my next purchase, I noticed that just trying to Fill my 2011 and 2012 slots, you need to buy 18 separate coins! That's right "18" for two calendar years. Between the anniversary sets, the W and S, and the ( w) and (s). I mean come on! It's a little much don't you think? The problem is I have bought most of them already. And once you start, it's hard to leave that dreaded space in between coins in your set. Soooo as I complain, I've ordered two more for my set tonight. (shrug)

I think so. This combined with the inflated price of precious metals (which I attributed to speculation and not stable price increases) is the reason that I do not buy Silver Eagles or any of the Gold Bullion/First Spouse and Buffalo Coins. If gold were at $900 and silver around $10-$12 oz., I would actually buy these coins despite the fact that I am more of a collector of classic coins (i.e. pre-1950 with few exceptions). I also become turned off when the mint adds unnecessary versions which add to the cost to acquire a complete set.

I'm with you on this point, while moderns are not my thing I used to buy a couple of mint sets and a proof set. Not anymore because of the high prices and the storage space this takes up now.

As long as collectors keep buying these new products, the government will be severely tempted to offer more of them. I understand your frustration, and the powers at be should be aware that they are coming close to playing a dangerous game. You can keep the bunnies hopping for a time to fill in all of those new invented slots in a popular series, but after a while some bunnies will get tired, frustrated or just decide that they are being used and hop away. That's what happened with the U.S. Post Office and stamp collectors. They just got tired of all of the new and useless products that the post office was offering, and it really hurt the hobby.

I'm with you on this point, while moderns are not my thing I used to buy a couple of mint sets and a proof set. Not anymore because of the high prices and the storage space this takes up now.

This year, 2013, will be the first year that I will not be adding a clad Proof set to my collection. I'm tired of buying something that falls well below its issue price year after year. I will continue to set aside a silver set, although except for last year, that has been a loser as well. At least those sets have some precious metal in them.

For those who are curious, the mint's product offerings usually start with requests from customers. That includes stuff like spoons, first-day covers, "reverse" proofs, coins from certain mints, etc. The situation gets out of hand because there are always dedicated collectors of each item who do not want "their" product discontinued. Thus, junk proliferates and it takes a dozen pieces to complete one year's silver eagles.

(If this sounds like what Congress does, you’re right….In the attempt to keep everybody happy, no one ends up happy and waste increases.)

It all depends on whether you're filling holes in your collection with coins or packaging. I count 10 distinct coins. Still quite a bit, of course, but better than 18. I would imagine that if you wanted a complete set of all the promotional slabs for these two years, you'd be pushing 50 coins.

It all depends on whether you're filling holes in your collection with coins or packaging. I count 10 distinct coins. Still quite a bit, of course, but better than 18. I would imagine that if you wanted a complete set of all the promotional slabs for these two years, you'd be pushing 50 coins.

I'm filling up the slots that The NGC registry put into thier ASE MS/PF with variety set. Albeit a little excessive, there are 18 distinct "slots" to complete the 2 calendar years.

I've been mostly collecting MS70 ASEs, but have started adding PFs. Going thru my registry set for my next purchase, I noticed that just trying to Fill my 2011 and 2012 slots, you need to buy 18 separate coins! That's right "18" for two calendar years. Between the anniversary sets, the W and S, and the ( w) and (s). I mean come on! It's a little much don't you think? The problem is I have bought most of them already. And once you start, it's hard to leave that dreaded space in between coins in your set. Soooo as I complain, I've ordered two more for my set tonight. (shrug)

And what's worse is that you, I, and others, are buying coins with mintage's of 30 million plus. Maybe it is time for for you to look to other countries like Canada and Australia where they put limits on the mintage such as the newest Canadian addition, The Bald Eagle Series, where they only minted 7,500 worldwide and will only have four (4) different coins in the series. The Royal Canadian Mint sold out in less than 24 hrs.....but they will not mint any more.

That to me seems like it would increase in value a hell of a lot sooner than a 30 million plus minted coin will.

I have not bought it yet, but the one I want is the 2011 100th anniversary set of the specimen dollar. I love KGV portrait coins and I do not even collect Canadian coins. Same goes for the QEII 2003 golden jubilee set.

This year, 2013, will be the first year that I will not be adding a clad Proof set to my collection. I'm tired of buying something that falls well below its issue price year after year.

You can still add the set, just don't buy it from the mint. Wait and buy it later AFTER the price falls in the aftermarket.

This year, 2013, will be the first year that I will not be adding a clad Proof set to my collection. I'm tired of buying something that falls well below its issue price year after year.

You can still add the set, just don't buy it from the mint. Wait and buy it later AFTER the price falls in the aftermarket.

I realize that, but one of the problems with buying Proof sets well after the issue date is that it is hard to find old sets with nice boxes and COA's. As they bounce around in dealers' transportation boxes, they really get beat up. I can remember seeing 1999-S silver sets at the Baltimore convention when the price was over $300. The boxes were totally beat up.

Call it compulsive, but when I collect something that is supposed to be "perfect" like a modern Proof set, I expect every part of it to be "perfect."

t's not the US Mint but the TPG's creating the "label" markets.

Why even bother chasing all the different TPG Labels designated for the online Registry Sets? It certainly doesn't add value to the SAE's (once the registry participants have theirs) since the premiums paid go away rather quickly.

And whats up with the (S) and (W) slots. These are totally TPG created as the coins are no different than any other bullion SAE?

Silver prices are down now to about $24.00 dollars, but the prices at the U.S. Mint for a silver proof eagle is $67.95, and the the West Piont set started at $150.00, and drop to 139.95, big drop still ripping you off. Don

I have not bought it yet, but the one I want is the 2011 100th anniversary set of the specimen dollar. I love KGV portrait coins and I do not even collect Canadian coins. Same goes for the QEII 2003 golden jubilee set.

It is almost getting to late to get get the Canadian Eagle in PCGS PR70. Like always the NGC is a slow mover. You can still jump on the OGP for the $99.95 .... the same price as what the mint sold them for but the price on PCGS has jumped on those that still have some. I just sold one for $195.50 and that was the lowest price for the PCGS PR70's on eBay. Soon the NGC's that I have are going to start selling for a slightly lower price once the PCGS stock is exhausted.

For OGP at mint price You Can Get It Here

But Ron has sold out, for the time being, of the PCGS PR70's but still has some NGC's in stock. He might get some more PCGS's in later I would bet. I think I only have about 3 more PCGS's and 4 NGC slabbed left but I did order another two NGC's and another OGP for later when they are all gone.

Got to get em while they last. :popcorn:

Well as you know the Silver Eagles are just awfully dang popular, and I sympathize with your position having to fill those Dreaded Holes. This is why I never started a Registry Set of these coins.

The Mint, BTW, has been going overboard for 150+ years. Back in the 1850s it was patterns for sale to the well-connected ... stellas, Shield Earrings, 1804 dollar restrikes, and the like ... today it is massive quantity far preferred over artistic quality. Outdated designs, dead presidents, rehashes of classic designs (sorry but even the ASEs fall into this category). Yet we can only get a Liberty design when the dead president is a widower.

Best Regards,

George

I'm sorry, they are beautiful coins, but before I spend $68 on a proof ASE I'm going to spend that money on a Morgan or something truly rare.

Collecting coins that hold their value is a tightrope walk at best. Collecting slabbed ASE's for investment is like walking a tightrope while wearing razor blade shoes.

Yet we can only get a Liberty design when the dead president is a widower.

And even those are a rehash of an old design.

Well, if you want better designs, write the Acting Director or US Treasurer Rios and ask them to fill the position of Artistic Director.

This was part of an organized package of creative and artistic improvements delivered to the Mint by the CCAC in 2011. I was part of the committee, and believe that if followed, the recommendations will make a substantial improvement in the quality of commemorative and eventually circulating coinage.

I'm sorry, they are beautiful coins, but before I spend $68 on a proof ASE I'm going to spend that money on a Morgan or something truly rare.

Collecting coins that hold their value is a tightrope walk at best. Collecting slabbed ASE's for investment is like walking a tightrope while wearing razor blade shoes.

I have a tendency to agree. I usually collect the SAE's every year but the price is starting to outweigh my interest in them anymore. I already will have this years, but if the prices don't change next year, I will probably stop buying them altogether, sell what I have, and use the money for a more investful series.

And what's worse is that you, I, and others, are buying coins with mintage's of 30 million plus. Maybe it is time for for you to look to other countries like Canada and Australia where they put limits on the mintage such as the newest Canadian addition, The Bald Eagle Series, where they only minted 7,500 worldwide and will only have four (4) different coins in the series. The Royal Canadian Mint sold out in less than 24 hrs.....but they will not mint any more.

That to me seems like it would increase in value a hell of a lot sooner than a 30 million plus minted coin will.

I'm going to disagree with you on the Canadian and Australian Mints. Yes, they limit the mintage of series, but look at all the series they offer. I buy directly from the Canadian Mint at times and sifting through the all the offerings is tiring. The bullion offerings are staggering. I like some of the designs so I buy them for myself. Same for the Australian Mint. IMO, the offerings from the US Mint pale in comparison.

The Bald Eagle coin looks like a big chicken head to me. It's just not a good representation IMO. I can't believe there hasn't been more of a backlash on the design.

I'm going to disagree with you on the Canadian and Australian Mints. Yes, they limit the mintage of series, but look at all the series they offer. I buy directly from the Canadian Mint at times and sifting through the all the offerings is tiring. The bullion offerings are staggering. I like some of the designs so I buy them for myself. Same for the Australian Mint. IMO, the offerings from the US Mint pale in comparison.

The Bald Eagle coin looks like a big chicken head to me. It's just not a good representation IMO. I can't believe there hasn't been more of a backlash on the design.

Where is the disagreement? I am lost.

The bullion offering might be staggering but surely you are not trying to buy everything they produce are you? Now if you are a major dealer then I could see that being a real pain in the a s s.

I pick a series and try to get all that I can in that series but I do it because I like the series, the mintage is low, and the coins are very artistic and creative.

I also agree on the chicken look of the first in the series of four. I made that comment in my original thread in Wold Coins and to speculate for a moment, I believe that with the 'Chicken Eagle' being the first run in the series it will probably be sought after more than the others for two reasons. First in the series and the Chicken Factor. But you only have 4 in the series to buy..... My whole point was that the US Mint is boring in comparison.

In the end I may be completely wrong in thinking these coins will be of greater value in the future but I have a safety net; I like the coins regardless of what the future value turns out to be and I will know I have one of the only 7,500 that were minted.

I do love the SAEs but I had to compromise because there was quite a few coins to buy each year. So a couple years ago I stopped buying the SAEs except for the yearly special sets that the Mint is putting out nowadays. It still quenches my thirts for the SAEs but I don't take a hit in the pocket as much.