• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has any body seen anything like this? by Allen

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A 7 stamped in the field on the reverse of a 1967 sms Lincoln penny. It is graded ms 68 by ngc

I asked for your opinions about this coin about year ago. I still haven't found out anything about it. So I'm asking for your opinion again. Some thought it may be graffiti. But if that were the case would it get a grade of ms 68? I talked to one individual that thought maybe it was a dropped 7 from a die. Buy obviously it was not from the die that struck this coin. But here's a kicker, there is also a very faint 2 to the right of the 7 but slightly lower. If you blow up the image you can see the 2 but very faint.

I hope you all have a great memorial day weekend

13685.jpg

See more journals by Allen

I do recall the first post pic on this coin. I'm sure that if you resubmitted the coin it would come back with details grading of environmental damage. As your heading suggests "stamped".

Rick

It looks to me to be two coincidental dings. There's also one on the steps. With these three obvious marks, and several other minor marks (including the "2" you're talking about), I'm not sure if it should make the grade of MS68, but it might. It is a very nice coin otherwise, and those dings that look like a "7" make it a conversation piece (something to talk about).