• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam of the Day "Worldcoin777"

18 posts in this topic

Here is our guy:

http://myworld.ebay.com/worldofcoins777

So short and sweet-we have a guy who claims to have found really rare coins in a storage locker he won and is just selling them off. (Never heard that story before have we). Selling high MS and proof 1877 Indian pennies for a few hundred dollars (Wow! What a steal!!). Also had a supposed 1856 Flying Eagle worth 20k minimum if was in that condition. It was removed-somebody might of flagged it and ebay removed it which is good and hope is the case. Always assume altered coins but this might be case of counterfeits.

Now quick glance of feedback show this fool actually buys coins-rolls of Indian Head pennies and small coin collections. Odd for somebody that stumbled into rare coins in a locker and is selling them off at no reserve auctions.

Now real reason posted on this guy was something so funny it makes me laugh every time I see it. One of the oldest cons in the book. Put a price tag of $100 bucks on a $1 notebook and tell people you'll sell it to them for $50.

So look at his feedback and we see he bought a vase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321118377420

Paid $252 for it. Do not know lot about these things but quick shows that is about what these things go for. Now literally with in 24 hours of him leaving that feeback he post this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATA-ORTIZ-AUTHENTIC-HANDMADE-ARTISAN-POTTERY-HEARTBREAKING-DETAILS-/251271218525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80ee855d

That is right folks-for a limited time you can get that same vase for a discounted price of $3899.00!!!

Now sadly nobody took the offer but do not worry he relisted it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251279824081#ht_796wt_1271

As you can see the Buy-it-Now price is just hair over 13.5k BUT the starting bid is only ...$3899 you ask? NOO. This vase has appreciated greatly in last 2 weeks. Starting bid is now just $4889. Bid now as this is worth over 13 grand. What a steal! I hope to God some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does not see the starting bid is 1/3 the BIN price and bid last minute and think he got an amazing steal! Please do not let there be such insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with disposable incomes-what this guy is banking on.

lol.

Flag this guy if you get chance. Enough flags will kick it upstairs and he'll be removed ASAP

I sent emails to the two buyers of the fake 1877's that left feedback for him pointing out why they were fake. (Most obvious problem, 1877 with a hub of 1886 obv.) If they are not shill bidders hopefully they can get their money back.

Here is our guy:

http://myworld.ebay.com/worldofcoins777

So short and sweet-we have a guy who claims to have found really rare coins in a storage locker he won and is just selling them off. (Never heard that story before have we). Selling high MS and proof 1877 Indian pennies for a few hundred dollars (Wow! What a steal!!). Also had a supposed 1856 Flying Eagle worth 20k minimum if was in that condition. It was removed-somebody might of flagged it and ebay removed it which is good and hope is the case. Always assume altered coins but this might be case of counterfeits.

Now quick glance of feedback show this fool actually buys coins-rolls of Indian Head pennies and small coin collections. Odd for somebody that stumbled into rare coins in a locker and is selling them off at no reserve auctions.

Now real reason posted on this guy was something so funny it makes me laugh every time I see it. One of the oldest cons in the book. Put a price tag of $100 bucks on a $1 notebook and tell people you'll sell it to them for $50.

So look at his feedback and we see he bought a vase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321118377420

Paid $252 for it. Do not know lot about these things but quick shows that is about what these things go for. Now literally with in 24 hours of him leaving that feeback he post this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATA-ORTIZ-AUTHENTIC-HANDMADE-ARTISAN-POTTERY-HEARTBREAKING-DETAILS-/251271218525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80ee855d

That is right folks-for a limited time you can get that same vase for a discounted price of $3899.00!!!

Now sadly nobody took the offer but do not worry he relisted it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251279824081#ht_796wt_1271

As you can see the Buy-it-Now price is just hair over 13.5k BUT the starting bid is only ...$3899 you ask? NOO. This vase has appreciated greatly in last 2 weeks. Starting bid is now just $4889. Bid now as this is worth over 13 grand. What a steal! I hope to God some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does not see the starting bid is 1/3 the BIN price and bid last minute and think he got an amazing steal! Please do not let there be such insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with disposable incomes-what this guy is banking on.

lol.

Flag this guy if you get chance. Enough flags will kick it upstairs and he'll be removed ASAP

"Here's our guy"....????? Anyway.....

As far as his buying the vase, you are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. It is of NOONE's business but the SELLER's as to what he charges for something he is selling it. Anyone can ask anything they want when selling something on ebay, there are NO rules regarding how much you can/can't list an item at. So, is there really anything wrong with what he's doing by reselling it at a much higher price than he bought it for? I'm sure if it's , those that know vases and that type of collectible KNOW it's and will laugh at it and stay away from it. If it isn't , and can command multiples of what he paid, more power to this buyer....it's what we all hope to find in the 'coins' category on ebay. Then, lets not forget, something is worth only what someone is willing to pay, and if you get 2 people that want something, so if this IS an Ortiz piece with considerable value, good eyes on the buyer of it (now the seller of it).

This is NO different than buying, say, a 1942 Merc dime, and it turns out to be a '42/41 Merc dime (HUGE difference, known by most collectors). If the seller titles the listing as a 1942 Merc dime, and in the description he states he is selling a 1942 Merc dime, and makes NO mention of the overdate (because he isn't aware of it), the seller hasn't done his homework, and the buyer looks at the sellers stuff all the time from then on out, hoping to find another nice 'rip'.

Remember, it's not just 'buyer beware' on ebay, it's 'seller beware', also. If you don't know what you are selling, oh well, not the bidder's fault. As a seller, you should do your homework, or at least know what to look for on certain dates, and by virtue of knowing what you are selling, know what a rough, ballpark figure for the item is you're selling (starting items at $0.99 is a real chance, one that I wouldn't take...I'm starting it at close to what I want for it, not giving it away, much like the seller basically did with MY new '57-D FS-501. It's a little bit of 'luck of the draw' when something like this happens. For instance, as I just referenced, the '57-D FS-501 Misplaced 'D' ....... just last week, I was one of 13 bidders on a '57-D FS-501 Misplaced 'D' in wreath, in an ANACS MS64 holder (this really is a difficult variety...only 8 in ALL MS grades, nothing higher than an MS64). The seller fully disclosed the variety in the title, the description, it was attributed on the label , and this coin sold for $12.50), and paid $26.50, that's TWENTY SIX DOLLARS and FIFTY CENTS (hope it crosses ATS, as recently, a PCGS MS64 sold on Teletrade for almost $400. An MS63 (not certain of the guide price, but I'm sure it's worth has got to be close to 10 times what I paid, just in MS63 price. I'd sell it in a minute for close to $400 on a $26.50 purchase (if it does cross at grade...if it bumps up to an MS65, whoooaaaaa!!, it'll make the vase look like peanuts).

So, am I 'suspect'? Did I doing something wrong, or take advantage because I got a coin worth hundreds, for $26.50 (believe me, my max bid was MUCH higher than $26.50), when literally hundreds of thousands of collectors had the same opportunity to buy/bid on it as I did? Will I be doing something wrong if I just relist it, now that I have it in hand, and put a Bin of $350? I don't think so, and believe that the consensus would agree with me.

Stick with being a coin policeman, unless you are an expert in all types of collectibles.

As an aside, yeah, seller cancelled the vase, and relisted it with a $4,899.00, BIN of $13,578.98! MAYBE he knows a LITTLE more about this particular vase (or vases in general) than you do (which is very obvious). Maybe it IS a valuable piece, worth much more than he paid. As a seller, why can't he ask whatever he wants to ask for it? I don't believe ebay has a rule for charging too much, though they do suggest as low a price as possible Maybe, just maybe he knew what it was, was able to watch it run out of time, and he was able to rip it, showing he knows more than you do about it . MAYBE, JUST MAYBE the vase WAS worth $5-$10,000 to begin with.....and, who knows what his max bid might have been??? Maybe, just MAYBE it WAS a bargain listed at $3,899.00, and you just don't know it. The seller that had the $252 BIN sells a ton of this Mata Ortiz pottery, so, he DID get the price that he wanted for it, and just maybe the original seller didn't do enough homework on the piece to discover it was really a rare piece (not saying it is, but who knows...I know I don't and wouldn't accuse the new owner of the vase of anything shady). Apparently, Mata Ortiz vases are all unique, as they are hand made, without a potter's wheel....(thanks Google/Wikipedia), so IF this piece IS a genuine Mata Ortiz vase, who knows what it could be worth, unless you have working knowledge about pottery, or items such as this (specifically non-numismatic) as a collectible.

Stick with being the 'coin police'.

While I somewhat agree with you-come one.

A scam is always a scam. Always. I see this a lot. They buy items that have a fancy name to it. They put a huge buy-it -now on something or they start something at a high starting bid with no reserve under the hopes that somebody see stumbles on it and says "Oh my god I'm gonna get a steal and make a nice profit".

I can see on ebay what these sell for the if it was worth thousands do not think the seller (who sells a lot of stuff like that) would of let it go. They just list it, relist, relist and over and over until somebody buys it. My hope is that maybe somebody who would of been that buyer maybe does a google search and this thread comes up. Long shot but maybe.

Now in terms of the vase-he is not doing anything wrong. Sort of like card counting-nothing illegal but it is good to tell that person to leave.

He is selling BS coins-that is the main thing. I just had to post the vase as it is rare somebody do something so over the top as that.

You will never be able to stop all the scams, people selling things at higher prices than they bought them for, or save every individual from getting robbed. It's good that you want to be a superhero here, but I don't see the reason to post every one that you find. You can spend more of this time to turn them in to ebay. Make your investigating a little more positive by turning them in to the main source.

I report everything to ebay. The reason I do it? Read my thread about 'premium'. After about 30 post a new member here posted saying he was so glad about this as he had seen him on ebay and was new to collecting coins. Had another PM saying thanks for saving them time and money.

That is why I do it.

People do stumble on these post and a lot of people will google an ebay id and see fraud reports-and if you google any of the 3 ebay scams I have posted the 2-3 result is these threads.

I'm not saying what you are doing is bad, just stating that you could wind up with endless threads posting every rip-off auction from ebay.

I report everything to ebay......

Then keep reporting them to ebay, but you don't have to report every single one you find, as bsshog40 suggests. Good intentions, yes, but not every one you find. You'll end up starting threads that get no replies, because it's either to report a seller, or to sell something, and there have been issues with you as a seller, but, that isn't anything that hasn't already been brought up.

Lastly, you totally go off the board, totally away from numismatics by going on about, and even linking, the vase. WHO CARES ABOUT A VASE??? It isn't even a coin, and you are making an issue of it in a U.S. Coin forum (I still haven't found the vase forum).

You can't be the ebay savior, and believe me, items that should get reported, do get reported. There are a number of coin forums with a vast number of members, and between all of those forums (you know, all the places you wind up joining to sell stuff, but there's usually some sort of a problem/issue, like demanding the $$ first when you have no references, or never getting back to a buyer after confirming a deal, as is discussed on more than one forum)......but I digress....don't worry, as there are many people reporting items that are deserving of it. You are far from the only one who notices.

I don't wish to here about every scam you find. We could all post several a day if we wished to spend the time. It's not new.

One of the buyers of the fake 1877's has responded and reports that he got a full refund from the seller.

:applause: Good to know.

I report everything to ebay......

Then keep reporting them to ebay, but you don't have to report every single one you find, as bsshog40 suggests. Good intentions, yes, but not every one you find. You'll end up starting threads that get no replies, because it's either to report a seller, or to sell something, and there have been issues with you as a seller, but, that isn't anything that hasn't already been brought up.

Lastly, you totally go off the board, totally away from numismatics by going on about, and even linking, the vase. WHO CARES ABOUT A VASE??? It isn't even a coin, and you are making an issue of it in a U.S. Coin forum (I still haven't found the vase forum).

You can't be the ebay savior, and believe me, items that should get reported, do get reported. There are a number of coin forums with a vast number of members, and between all of those forums (you know, all the places you wind up joining to sell stuff, but there's usually some sort of a problem/issue, like demanding the $$ first when you have no references, or never getting back to a buyer after confirming a deal, as is discussed on more than one forum)......but I digress....don't worry, as there are many people reporting items that are deserving of it. You are far from the only one who notices.

Very well said!!!!!

TWCableMan...thank you. I understand the reasoning behind what he's doing, but if EVERYONE here, ATS, ANY forum for that matter, if they brought up, in a new thread, what item looks suspicious, well, the boards would be overflowing with them. Isn't that what this reporting page is for?

Use that one, OP, instead of coming here, or any forum I'm on, and reporting it. PLEASE!

If you try to police ebay, you will have to time to do anything else.... It will consume your entire life!

There are scams all over the place. The only thing you can do is inform the public about conducting their own research before they purchase anything. You cant protect everybody.. America is filled with brainless drones.

If you try to police ebay, you will have to time to do anything else.... It will consume your entire life!

There are scams all over the place. The only thing you can do is inform the public about conducting their own research before they purchase anything. You cant protect everybody.. America is filled with brainless drones.

Now I agree 110% with that! And I think a small part of America knows who/where one of the last things you mention is.