• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new addition to my modern comm collection posted by wmfielding

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not real big on toned coins

Today I received a 1991-1995 WWII P half dollar NGC graded MS 69. At first glance I did not like the coin and almost sent it back because I like my silver coins bright and shinny but the more I look at it the more I liked it. The obverse has a small amount of bronze toning around the rim the reverse is completely bronze in color. that is the reason I fell for this coin.

I will have pictures of this coin up early next week, when I receive a batch of coins coming back from NGC. No sense setting up the studio for one coin. So now I look at toned coins through different glasses and maybe someday I will grow to love them, one never knows.

Happy Collecting and May God Bless your life as He has mine...Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

Well I believe the reason your coin is not silvery, is because it is a clad half. To my knowledge the only 2 silver modern commem halves are the 82 washington and the 93 madison.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Oh BTW I would like to see that bad boy as well. :banana:

Well Mr. Wells you were almost correct my coin is clad. The only silver half comms so far are the 1982 Washington, 1993 Bill of Rights, 1993 S James Madison Bill of Rights and the 1993 W Bill of Rights.

For some reason I was under the impression that all modern comms were silver. thank you very much its nice to know that at 52 I can learn something useful each day.

Happy Collecting and may God Bless...Mike

Don't know Silver Towne, but the Red Book only list 2 1993 Silver Half dollars for the Bill of Rights, the W & S, I cross referenced, so does the Numismatic News Coin Market report.

Note: I also believe the composition of these coins is 90% silver, expressed as 90.0, not sure if this Silver Towne Source is really putting forth 99.9% or 99.9 silver as you wrote, if so they should correct.

I get it now!! 3 of four commemorative 50c silvers--- The two Washingtons MS and PF and the two Madisons MS and PF ??? Had to think outside the box for that one. :)

Yes, post inaccuracies, such as stating the Bill of Rights modern commemoratives are composed of 99.9% silver will tend to lead to correction, comment and sometimes the resulting brouhaha. Its all good though, as its important to set the facts straight so that young or novice collectors gain the proper knowledge, so that for example, when looking at a 50 cent modern commemorative they will realize which ones are composed Cu 92%, Ni 8% and which are composed Ag 90%, Cu 10%. Scientia est potentia. Rich