• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940D Mercury Dime and 1949 Franklin Half- Grade Opinions- Grade Added for 40-D!

13 posts in this topic

Picked these coins up this morning at the local shop here. Went in looking for 90% junk silver and walked out with these and a few others. I think the '40-D Mercury could be Full Split Bands and I think the '49 Franklin could be Full Bell Lines. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

1940-D Mercury Dime

1940DMercObv_zpse17b61c0.jpg

1940DMercRev_zpsc1468c8b.jpg

1940DMercRevFB_zps15bc604f.jpg

1949 Franklin Half

1949FranklinObv_zps04a4e4c3.jpg

1949FranklinRev_zps7aa20644.jpg

1949FranklinRevFBL_zpsde41a761.jpg

Deerfan ... You are getting through. I can hear you. :)

I think that dime is FB. I have seen others that were much more questionable than that one that were graded FB. I think allot of it has to do with what the Market Price Jump would be on a FB ... On marginal coins anyway. That is just my opinion but it would only seem logical since they are backing it with a guarantee.

The Franklin Half. I have no idea. I am looking forward to someone more knowledgeable to come in here and tell you with certainty and maybe let me know whether it is the vertical bell line or the horizontal lines that is considered when deciding on a FBL.

I took a chance for $25.00 on one of those "a Century of Half Dollars" things that comes with 2 Franklin Halfs and a 1945 3 cent Iwo Jima stamp in the hopes that the original swere still in there.

Someone else must have got to these long ago.... These coins are very well circulated. Oh well.... That's why they call it gambling. You win some/ You lose some.

The Franklin Half. I have no idea. I am looking forward to someone more knowledgeable to come in here and tell you with certainty and maybe let me know whether it is the vertical bell line or the horizontal lines that is considered when deciding on a FBL.

It is the horizontal lines.

There was another thread but can't find it at the moment. If I remember correctly PCGS and NGC have different definitions of FBL. NGC requiring both sets of lines to be uninterupted while PCGS only requiring the bottom series. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

From the pictures it might just be my small laptop monitor or my eyes being tired but I can't make a determination from the photos. First impression is that it looks to make it but I am about 50/50.

WYNTK

I would grade them both as 63 or 64, and neither of them qualify for FSB/FBL.

Jason, didn't you have a thread a while back on FBL with numerous photo examples or was that someone else?

Jason, didn't you have a thread a while back on FBL with numerous photo examples or was that someone else?

I don't recall a thread like that. I haven't done one (although I could, if you guys want me to). Woody's thread has good info, but not a whole lot of actual examples. One of the better pictorials is the CAC website linked - but since they use PCGS's definition and only require the bottom set, their information is essentially useless (as is the PCGS designation).

I agree with your grades, but the designation depends on the definition used. On the Franklin, I think it has a shot of a FBL designation at PCGS which only requires separation of the bottom lines (unlike NGC which requires both upward and bottom line separation for the FBL designation), but not at NGC. Similarly, I think the dime has a shot at FB at PCGS.

I agree with your grades, but the designation depends on the definition used. On the Franklin, I think it has a shot of a FBL designation at PCGS which only requires separation of the bottom lines (unlike NGC which requires both upward and bottom line separation for the FBL designation), but not at NGC. Similarly, I think the dime has a shot at FB at PCGS.
i agree with both you guys!

i agree with both you guys!
ill agree as well. makes sense to me

Just thought I would give an update. I sold the 1949 Franklin. Sent the 1940-D Mercury in for grading. It came back as MS64FB. Cert. #2607843-006. Dont have the coins back yet, just got the grades today. Will add new pictures when I get the coins.