• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is why CAC fails to impress me

113 posts in this topic

i'm extremely impressed with cac and how they have helped the collectors in the market by giving them more options with which to spend their money more wisely and made their services available to collectors for basically nothing and have added value to some of their selected pre 1900 scarce to rare, eye appealling and original certified pcgs and ngc coins

both originality and high eye appeal is quite rare with many pre 1915 coins and as an added bonus some of these coins are not only absolutely scarce to rare but also in combination of grade rarity makes a few the ultimate in rarity and value

CAC does not impress me at all.

I recently sent in 5 pieces, all 1896 S and 1913 S Barber quarters.

All G-4 , G-06 or VG-08.

Only one was CAC'd. and that was graded G-04 that had an hour's wear from being a VG-08. It should have been in a G-06 holder.

Not impressed.

I guess I manipulated the market when I outbid everyone on the last coin I bought in auction. Darnit!
TDN you're killing us! Now all the $1000 coins I wanna buy are $1010! Just because of you! lol

All G-4 , G-06 or VG-08.

Only one was CAC'd. and that was graded G-04 that had an hour's wear from being a VG-08. It should have been in a G-06 holder.

Not impressed.

Perhaps CAC had issues with the coins, other than their technical grades? Do you have images which you can and are willing to post here?

All G-4 , G-06 or VG-08.

Not impressed.

Perhaps CAC had issues with the coins, other than their technical grades? Do you have images which you can and are willing to post here?

I agree. Maybe they were correctly graded, but were unattractive or had rim dings,etc., which CAC does not look favorably upon.

All G-4 , G-06 or VG-08.

Not impressed.

Photos would help . Because 2 of your coins did not get a sticker this bothers you and you are not “impressed” ? As others have said there is probably another issue with that G4 coin that you are not seeing.

Also, very importantly, since CAC doesn't charge a fee for coins that do not sticker

This caught my attention. They certainly charge us for coins that don't sticker.

Also, very importantly, since CAC doesn't charge a fee for coins that do not sticker

This caught my attention. They certainly charge us for coins that don't sticker.

Yes, dealers get charged regardless of whether a coin stickers or not. Collector/members only pay if the coin stickers.

Yes, dealers get charged regardless of whether a coin stickers or not. Collector/members only pay if the coin stickers.

I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification!

The main thing that bugs me about CAC is that those who advocate it are so defensive. Normally I really dislike the term "defensive" when people apply it to responses to criticism, because I view the term as a PC reply to shut down a discussion. Still I've had so many negative experiences with CAC discussions that that the term applies in this case.

The main thing that bugs me about CAC is that those who advocate it are so defensive. Normally I really dislike the term "defensive" when people apply it to responses to criticism, because I view the term as a PC reply to shut down a discussion. Still I've had so many negative experiences with CAC discussions that that the term applies in this case.

Bill---Many of the more vocal CAC defenders are heavily invested in CAC stickered coins for which they paid a premium so they have an investment that they need to defend.

Bill---Many of the more vocal CAC defenders are heavily invested in CAC stickered coins for which they paid a premium so they have an investment that they need to defend.

I don't think it's fair to dislike a service just because of fanboy commentaries.

This is, for all intents and purposes, an online chat room. Every online chat room gives its participants "Internet muscles" that seems to detract from actual intellect and intelligence. Not every case, but often enough that I feel my generalization is valid.

I bet if you started a thread just to say "good morning" you'll get someone to contradict, argue, say nonsense or just be silly.

EVP

Kinda funny,

I had a coin that was a moderately toned Peace Dollar ( PCGS OGH) that I sold through Shane a few months ago. The purchaser bought it and had it stickered then re-sold it through Shane.

It gained just a few bucks more than the sticker fee. I'm actually surprised because at the local shows anything with a sticker, moon money is the asking price. In this example, that was not the result I expected.

Tradedollarnut:

The quote, "CAC exists to make a market in coins it desires to buy..." came from your post made on this thread (#6705778 - Yesterday at 10:33 AM). It's the fourth post.

Why don't you 'splain it to us poor, stupid peasants.

No need to explain it - it's a straightforward assertion of fact. Why don't YOU explain your assertion that it represents a conflict of interest. How so? Do tell...

Oh - and cut the attitude. /eyeroll

Awww...were you caught with your ethical pants down -- or is it just your inflated ego that's injured?

Even us poor, stupid peasants can understand that if a business rates or otherwise qualifies coins so it can "make a market in them" there is obviously impaired objectivity. But, then, your "ethical standards" are so clearly superior to us po' folk, that no one could possibly challenge you.

TDN has hitched his business star to the CAC comet and one should take that into consideration when one reads his posts. CAC is infallible so far as he is concerned. For those us who follow the issue, it was well known that some coins have been CAC'd and de-CAC'd because of certain issues.

I have yet to see any service or system that is 100% infallible.

Hmm. Smoeone(s) surely have sticks in rectums about this and other issues!

All G-4 , G-06 or VG-08.

Not impressed.

Maybe all but one were fugly dogs. Many lograde slabs are, y'know. Without pics or better yet, in-hand examination, the fact that they didn't sticker is damning. So sorry!

"It sure shook my faith in the belief that CAC is “perfect.” " I thought this was the main thing that bugged you about CAC, along with the expense of sending your coins to them?

Kinda funny,

I had a coin that was a moderately toned Peace Dollar ( PCGS OGH) that I sold through Shane a few months ago. The purchaser bought it and had it stickered then re-sold it through Shane.

It gained just a few bucks more than the sticker fee. I'm actually surprised because at the local shows anything with a sticker, moon money is the asking price. In this example, that was not the result I expected.

Out of curiosity, what was the result you expected?

wheat

Kinda funny,

Out of curiosity, what was the result you expected?

wheat

He was probably expecting the coin to go for a lot more than what the buyer originally paid from Shane. A value bump due to the new CAC sticker.

jom

What about those who attack CAC so offensively and remain defensive in their stance? ;)

I have sent some coins to CAC that I, to this day, still believe should have stickered or, if they did sticker, should have gold stickered.

That said, I, unlike some who have posted in this thread, understand who CAC is ultimately for and what it is.

It is for another opinion and is for those coins that JA is willing to purchase at that level. That is my understanding.

Going by that, I am not going to complain. I have sent a number of coins in, sold only a couple that I sent in and was able to recoup my cost on the coins when, without the sticker, I was unable to, and I am fine with the coins (stickered or not). I try to buy coins I like, at prices I am ok with.

Jom hit the nail on the head. I was surprised because with a CAC sticker I expected to see more paid for the coin. The increase simply wasn't as great as I'd expected.

Then again, the value for that coin in the grade on the slab or (2) grades higher shouldn't have brought the money it did. In this case, the toning had to be some factor both before and after stickering.

In this case, the toning had to be some factor both before and after stickering.

Truly a shocking conclusion given it was the same coin. meh

:slapfight:

jom