• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking Slabs - how to?

15 posts in this topic

I have a coin that I believe was mis-graded by PCGS. I would very much like to break it out of the slab and submit it to NGC as a "raw" coin for an unbiased second opinion.

That being said, can anyone advise of an acceptable method to do so and any required tools? It's a new slab if that makes a difference. Obviously I do not want to cause any damage in the process.

I appreciate any guidance you may provide.

Thanks,

Dave

I cracked one out of a slab and this is how I did it. I took one of my large hunting knives and a small hammer and placed the knife on the upper edge of the slab, away from the coin area, and smacked it with the hammer on the back of the knife blade.

Did not harm the coin at all but I had quite a few pieces I had to hunt for that scattered. Next time, if there is another time, I will do it outside on that back porch.

I bet others have much better ways though and they will chime in.

Wrap it in a towel to prevent flying pieces of plastic, put it in a vice sideways and slowly tighten the vice until you hear the plastic pop. Take the slab out of the vice, rotate it 90 degrees and repeat if necessary.

It is a reasonable approach but it takes a long time. The hammer method on my garage floor works awesome. I have tried many methods and this works the best.

That video just reminds me that I miss Schatzy.

(thumbs u

I hear ya! He always had some good deals on coins! I'm sure he'll be back again.

For PCGS slabs I use a hammer and cover it with a towel so plastic pieces don't go flying around the room. The wife does not like stepping on these in bare feet and the PCGS ones can be very sharp and jagged.

Give the PCGS slab a nice solid hit and then you will be able to break it apart with your hands if it is severely cracked. Be careful removing the coin from it.

I recently submitted a group of x PCGS, ANACS, ICG coins to NGC.