• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

questions on Jefferson proofs pics added

6 posts in this topic

i have some seemingly flawless proofs dated 53,54,56,57,60,61,62 and 63. all are raw but kept in plastic case and when i went to sell them i was told i couldnt get 5 bucks for them. why is this? they arent cleaned or anything and like i said, they are flawless. not a scratch ding or scuff anywhere on them, i dont know much about grading but id imagine they would have to be 67-70 grades

im sorry for the photos but this coin was so "shiny" that i couldnt get a decent one. the spots on the obverse near the date arent damage, its something on the surface, almost like it were toned. i dont know im a noob. i just know its something on the coin not part of the coin if that makes sense.

SAM_6756_zps59e72499.jpgSAM_6746_zps748f7e5e.jpgSAM_6751_zpsa771c74b.jpgSAM_6754_zps4421cf2c.jpg

Most are worth between $15 - $45 in PF66, which I think would be a fair estimate. There are almost no PF70's in these years with a few 69's. If they look as good as you say, and they don't have any problem issues, there have been more graded 67 and a few more 68's which more than likely would fall into the 66-68 range. This is just my guess from your interpretation of them.

Post some pictures of them so we can see what you are working with. If they are indeed uncleaned and blemish free, you would get WAY more than $5 for them.

You have discovered the dirty secret --- $5 or thereabout is what they are worth.

I suspect there's really only a market for individual proof coins that have already been graded by a Third-Party Grading service (such as NGC or PCGS).

Since your coins are "raw", the buyer would have to spend the money to send them to be graded before he could sell them.

Therefore, if each coin would fetch $15 - $45 graded and grading costs $10 or more, then the buyer could only afford to offer you a modest price and still leave room for his profit.

If the coins are as good as you say, you may have to spend the money and time to send them to a TPG to obtain the "best" price for them when you sell them.

The 53 and 54 are the two that are worth the most out of this date run, the rest, what buyers/dealers consider a dime a dozen. Welcome to the world of buy low, sell high.

You would do better selling directly to a collector.