• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weakly struck Peace Dollar

15 posts in this topic

This coin is not mine, nor will it be, but I thought it might be a good learning tool for those interested in seeing the diagnostics of a poorly struck Peace Dollar.

In my experience, 1924-P Peace Dollars are often found weakly struck, and usually, they have tremendously thick luster as well.

Here is the coin in question:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131325&lotIdNo=20006#Photo

Notice the weak hair details on the obverse, as well as the flat 'Y' in 'LIBERTY'.

On the reverse, notice how several parts of the motto nearly fade into the fields, and the weak feather details, especially near the eagles shoulder.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the pointers AJ. This is a reminder to me of how horrible Heritage images are. Ugh.

I'm interested in whether JC agrees with the grade...at least as far as what the photo tells you. Another words do you feel the weaker strike should take the coin down a notch, say, to MS64+ or no? hm

jom

I'm interested in whether JC agrees with the grade...at least as far as what the photo tells you. Another words do you feel the weaker strike should take the coin down a notch, say, to MS64+ or no? hm

jom

When the man who just bought that most expensive coin of all time said "strike doesnt matter"...I gave up trying to figure out how strike affects grade.

This coin is not mine, nor will it be, but I thought it might be a good learning tool for those interested in seeing the diagnostics of a poorly struck Peace Dollar.

In my experience, 1924-P Peace Dollars are often found weakly struck, and usually, they have tremendously thick luster as well.

Here is the coin in question:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131325&lotIdNo=20006#Photo

Notice the weak hair details on the obverse, as well as the flat 'Y' in 'LIBERTY'.

On the reverse, notice how several parts of the motto nearly fade into the fields, and the weak feather details, especially near the eagles shoulder.

Thanks for reading.

What is the purpose of this post? Are you disputing the grade of this coin? I'm perplexed, you point out weak strike elements on a coin known for a weak strike. But make no reference to the grade that you believe the coin deserves.

Carl

What is the purpose of this post? Are you disputing the grade of this coin? I'm perplexed, you point out weak strike elements on a coin known for a weak strike. But make no reference to the grade that you believe the coin deserves.

Carl

While Peace Dollars are known in general for strike issues, this example stands out from the rest. This post isnt about what the appropriate grade is, but rather, what markers to look for when evaluating the strength of a Peace Dollar strike.

But since you asked, I would not pay 65 money for this coin, despite the CAC sticker.

I view this coin as a weak MS-65. I too would not pay MS-65 prices for this coin.

I think that a true MS-67 Peace dollar has to be one of the toughest coins going because of strike issues.

a true MS-67 Peace dollar has to be one of the toughest coins going because of strike issues.

(thumbs u Ain't that the truth!!

And I agree with the premise that the OP coin doesn't appear all that nice for MS-65, granted we are judging by images.

I have found that a lot of my peace dollars are rather weak on the reverse. They may have almost full wing feathers and a good luster, but the E Pluribus and a bit of United tend to need the coin tilted a bit to get a good look at them. I just attributed this to the fact that after '21 the mint stopped striking peace dollars in high relief. I still love the design on the reverse, but the lower relief makes it a little more difficult to decide if a cirrculated coin has wear, or if it is just a weaker strike.

Interesting thread. From what I've seen, I think most peace dollars are graded in the context of their own series. As such, striking issues are commonplace - sort of like Type 2/3 Standing Lib Quarters. I tend to think graders consider eye appeal, luster, surfaces, and strike in that order. These particular photos aren't sufficient to condemn or exonerate the coin in question. It's not great, but I actually don't see it as being partiularly all that weak strike-wise. Many 24-S and 25-S coins are much worse. On occasion there will be no feathers at all, the mid-portion of the tiara's band will be indistinct, and "PEACE" will be almost illegible. Hair detail on this piece is partially hidden by some very nice frost. To me, this seems like a perfectly good MS65, depending on luster which is hard to judge from Heritage's site. The 1924 Philly is often seen made from very worn dies which IMO, is where the intense luster comes from.

When I first glanced at the coin I did not immediately think "weak strike" because I've seen much poorer strikes on Peace S$1. After reading the OP's comments and viewing the images again, I agree it is a below average strike for a Peace dollar. I would grade the strike a C- in the context of this series.

P.S. If that coin was 64 it would be really strong one. I agree a 64+ sounds fair.