• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 Peace Dollar

24 posts in this topic

What do you think the highest this might fetch for a grade?

DSCN2625.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

DSCN2624.jpg

It has tons of luster and the pictures make it look at least 10 pounds fatter than it really is.

There maybe it is clear now. :grin:

Guess it is just another cleaned coin.

First $60.00 takes it.

It is impossible for anyone to grade a coin with those images alone. I suspect that is the reason that no one posted; it would all be idle speculation.

Kenny there is a video link to the YouTube video I took of the coin slowly rotating Obverse then Reverse the Obverse again.

Maybe I posted the topic incorrectly. I just wanted to know what the experienced thought about it and what they thought it might come in at. I figured the pictures alone are more than most people include. I included a video too.

But if there is not enough there then I understand. Thanks for the acknowledgment that my listing was getting through. (thumbs u

Kenny there is a video link to the YouTube video I took of the coin slowly rotating Obverse then Reverse the Obverse again.

I didn't see the video, and yes, I found that helpful in showing the luster. When viewing the images and the video together, I would call the coin MS63, with the limiting factor being contact marks. It is a nice coin.

I'm sorry for my oversight; I have become so accustomed to just glancing through the photographs and not really paying that much attention to text below images in guess the grade threads. I never scrolled down far enough to see the link to the video; sorry. :facepalm::makepoint:

No problem. These signatures actually cause you to just disregard allot of what is at the bottom.

Thanks for looking at it. It's going to have to do much better than a 63 though for me. I have studied that ANA Grading on that Peace Dollar and I was coming more in at more like a 64 or 65 according to their definitions. Of-course miniscule is very subjective term really. Miniscule coming into play at 67 level though. 66 level is just "several small".

Thanks again

As a relatively new collector, but someone who focuses on peace dollars, I would say that the luster is there for a 65, but difficult to say if you will be downgraded by any contact marks. The most troubling thing I've found on most raw coins are subtle cleaning hairlines not visible to the naked eye. I hope you don't have them and its a 65!

The video shows cartwheel luster consistent with a MS coin. I don't see any hairlines or any other evidence of cleaning. The static images show an average strike and minor contact marks. MS64-65.

Carl

As a relatively new collector, but someone who focuses on peace dollars, I would say that the luster is there for a 65, but difficult to say if you will be downgraded by any contact marks. The most troubling thing I've found on most raw coins are subtle cleaning hairlines not visible to the naked eye. I hope you don't have them and its a 65!

I think it was Mark Feld who told me that when grading they take the entire coin into consideration and don't focus on just one area that might have it grade at a 64 for example.

Givien that, the luster and eye appeal for a 64 in the book states "Average Fully Original" for luster and "Pleasing" for the eye appeal. For a 65 it si "Fully Original" (luster) and "Very Pleasing" (eye appeal) I know that is meets these two easily. The 66 description to me in hand would be an understatement "Above Average Fully Original" (luster) and "Above Average" (eye appeal). I even think that video shows that. The only other criteria hurdles would be hairlines and contact marks.

Even at a 66 the book stipulates "Several Small; a few might be in prime focal areas" and with hairlines "None visible without magnification". Well it would be the hairlines that I would place my biggest concern with. I do not have the lighting that they do and my eye sight continues to deteriorate so with my wife's opinion with our lighting conditions available that would be the area that keeps it from going any further. There are only a few contact marks on this coin and most of them look to be in the the Secondary Area.

However, there are none higher than MS67 and the population at that level is one and NGC graded that one. PCGS I think stops at 64. I looked up the auction results for MS66 and MS67 search criteria and it came up with only 3 or 4 coins I believe. And from what I could see on those MS66 examples my static pictures on luster, eye appeal, and contact marks just blows them out of the water in my opinion (which of-course is as biased as they come).

Thanks for the guesses and opinions on the possible grades from all. Wherever lies the outcome when I send it in I should do just fine on this coin since I paid such a ridiculously low amount for it I have plenty of room for profit. I am going to be paying more in grading fees than I did for the coin.

Those that are collectors of Peace Dollars keep an eye out on the horizon and within the next two to three weeks (maybe earlier) I will have it graded and slabbed. I will offer it for sale here first. Then ATS, then either sit on it or the dreaded eBay. I hate having to list anything over there but that is where the masses are and that is where you are assured of a sale.

Most any desk lamp is all you will need for grading. That's all the grading services use.

I'm seeing several large contact marks on the reverse.

Can't see it going 66.

Most any desk lamp is all you will need for grading. That's all the grading services use.

Well I have that but it is the type of bulb that I question. All those lights I see that they have are on swing arms and are circular. I don't know if they use incandescent or fluorescent? If the circular nature of the light is able to identify much more than my lamp which has one of those newer money saving twirly bulbs in it.

65 would be fine for me and I expect that would be a more likely grade. Keep in mind that I have that image magnified. In hand, to the naked eye, you don't see anything that stands out except on the Reverse in the secondary field. One on the left is in the primary field though. But even that small one doesn't just jump out at you. You have to really do some angling to see it well. And 66 says "Several small; a few may be in the prime focal areas". So who knows.

I have four coins being graded right now and they should be finished Monday. I send all my stuff (well most all of my stuff) in under Express Service. 48hr turn around. They had them in the grading QC part of the process Friday so I fully expect grades on those Monday. I have many coins to choose from to send in to be submitted but I think this will be the next.

What is a person supposed to do when they have a bunch of coins that need grading? Can't send them all in at the prices that I would have to pay under standard membership. And I can't become a dealer. Can you get a bulk submission break in price otherwise?

DSCN2660.JPG

Almost all those and those pennies to the upper left.

I think it was Mark Feld who told me that when grading they take the entire coin into consideration and don't focus on just one area that might have it grade at a 64 for example.

That may be true, but I guess the question is what trumps what? If you have 65 luster but 64 contact marks, what wins out? Based on my limited experience it seems like luster wins out over contact marks (and even strike on peace dollars) when close, but I'd be interested in what others have seen.

Heck to be honest I think they just have a special coin that they flip and that is what determines one grade over another. :grin:

I don't believe there is any such thing as "what trumps what" The whole coin is taking into consideration,than giving a grade,strike,eye appeal,luster,hits are all combined to get a grade.

Well you must have been right slcoin... There must have been some uniform lines that I was not seeing. There were some scratches, very few, that were consistent with a careless rub but I never could see any uniform hairlines that indicated cleaned. However NGC saw it different and today I got the verdict. DOA!

Oh well. Guess I am just going to have to work on getting some good lighting in here that is much more conducive for detecting such. That would save me a ton of money in the long run. Such a shame too with that coin being so nice in hand.

Yeah that is the second time I have had one come back Improperly Cleaned since I began submitting. Bill Jones advice is something I am trying to follow; Only sending in coins that would return $200.00 or more. That should limit what I send in. I just need to take more time and study them closer.

I did follow his, and others, advice in someone new in this hobby to try to stick to only buying already slabbed coins that appeal to personal taste. I have bought quite a few slabs here lately from folks on this forum and ATS.

I have another 1926 in the safe that I was going to send in after this one but I think I will hold off on that until I learn more.

obverse field from nose to motto looks off to me

I would have to look very close to confirm it has not been whizzed

even your video shows 'funny' luster in that area

(thumbs u

You can buy it from me and take all the time you want to get a closer look. :grin: