• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would ANACS net grade this?

15 posts in this topic

I could be wrong, but I don't think ANACS grades chopmarked trade dollars. Perhaps TDN or one of the other trade dollar collectors could shed some light.

I just got the grade back from ANACS.

When i sent it in i was hoping to get XF details net VG but the grade i did get was...

UNC details - Net Good-4

UNC details?!? Net G4?!? That coin seems to be worth much more than G4 money... And, how'd they get UNC? Unless they're saying that it's a coin that technically hasn't circulated but has absolutely no UNC luster left...

EVP

Unc Details, Net G4. I wonder where they get Unc. details? The coin obviously circulated or it wouldn't have the chop marks?? But net G4 sounds about right.

Uncirculated is a misleading term. It is used to refer to a coin that has not received any wear, whether or not it was ever in circulation (coins can circulate without recieving wear). So, it does not actually mean the coin has never circulated. The term "Mint State" makes much better sense that the term Uncirculated.

The coin looked like an EF-AU by sharpness, but the big punch mark in the left field knocked it WAY down. I would have guessed G or VG for the net grade. Good-4 was actually a little strong of a write-down IMO, but I'm not totally surprised. That mark is really bad because it looks like an attempted puncture.

One well hidden chop mark can appear on an MS-60 Trade Dollar IMO because they are almost considered to be part of the coin. From a market grade point of view, multiple and obvious chop marks can make high grade Trade Dollars virtually unsalable, regardless of the assigned grade. Some collectors find chop marks interesting and are will to pay a small premium for a well circulated example that has been chop marked.