• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

God Works in mighty ways posted by wmfielding

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

4 day stay in the hospital will changes a man

I had the misfortune to spend Sunday Afternoon until 1 pm today in the hospital, with what they first thought was congestive heart problems now this will scare the holy heck out of even a God loving 52 year old man like myself. Thank the Great All Mighty it was only excess fluid in my lungs and around my heart. I lost 8.5 pounds in one day. Now the reason I'm writing this post is not to preach my belief's I have but to warn all of you who are long term smokers. guys it almost killed me in my prime. alone and very scared so if you smoke and can quit please do. it will save your life if only for a little while. I have had 1 smoke since being home and that's because I'm out of patches and do not yet have the strength to run to walmart. but rest assured I'll be there first thing to buy a 1 month supply.

on a higher note while down and out my 5 star general and girl scout comms came back to my great joy 1 half dollar clad coin a pf 70 uc the other an ms 69 both the silver dollar coins and my girl scouts proof came back a perfect 70 1 MS and the others PF 70 Uc's A great result just wish I hade time to replace the one ms 69 with another coin but I requested first release on all the 5 star coins so it would be out of place to have one of them without the first release so I be very happy with what I got. now I cant wait until noon on the ninth so I can order my American eagle set.

Happy collecting And may GOD BLESS your life has he has mine....Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

Mike,

God blesses us in so many ways, He finds ways to put the strong through trials and tribulations for the benefit of others. Thanks for sharing your story and hope you have a speedy recovery. Praying for you buddy.

Todd

I know all about the effects of smoking,I smoked for 25 years.One option you might consider is laser accupucture,it cost me a couple hundred bucks but well worth it. the treatment is completely painless and took about 10 minutes,that was 8 years ago with absolutely no cravings since! Glad to hear you are okay!

Jason

I stopped because I was diagnosed with minor Emphazima and needed steroids to build up my lungs again for I could not breathe. I tried to stop numerous times but the only thing that helped me was copenhagen...........I do not know if this helps but those patches were crazy.

Good luck and best wishes.........

Hey Mike,

I smoked for 30 years and after an apparent heart attack forced me into the hospital for tests my doctor put me on a 14 mil nicotine patch to help with the cravings while I was hosptialized. I was also put on Welbutrin, an anti depressant, that has a side affect of decreases the craving for nicotine. After 3 days I got out and continued the patch and the medication and started sucking on dum dums to help keep my hands and mouth busy. I stayed on that regime for 5 months when I stopped taking the meds and using the patch's. I never had to deal with bad cravings and have been smoke free for over 7 years now.

There are lots of different ways to quit, find the one that works for you and stick with it, you can do it!

All the best,

Larry

Thank you all very much, I don't know how I'll be able to quit but quit I will. 2 months worth of smoking money will buy myself both of the gold 5 star general coins and allow me to save for an upgrade to my living conditions. although I own the one I'm in free and clear its small and the people around me do not keep there yards up like I do so when coming to my house you'd think I lived in the slums. but like I sad its free and clear and homesteaded so I don't pay property taxes but that's easy to transfer.

Again thank you for your prayer and words of encouragement. It means a lot to me. As I always say Happy Collecting and may God Bless you all...Mike

Mike, other options include medications. Chantix paired with Wellbutrin works pretty well to completely cut the urges. I have had several friends quit after 15+ years. Some people can do cold-turkey, others need help. There is no shame in that.

My mother quit smoking about 2.5 years ago, after 35 years. The smoker's "hack" was gone in 6 months, and she raves still about being able to actually taste and enjoy food!!

I wish you the best my friend!!

Regards,

-Brandon

I wish my dopey son(age 25) would get that hint. He cries the blues about not being able to save any dough, but pisses away $150 a month on smokes, and about as much on junk food(and doesn't pay rent). I ask him, "How bad do you want whatever you want?" I'm hoping he'll meet a nice woman that'll straighten him out, like I did(though it was the 5th time around to really take). I suppose we ALL had to learn the hard way, in order to appreciate what we earned and have!

Anyway... We thank the Gods for those small pleasures in life, like a good cigar, or the occasional Grade 70 addition to our collection(that didn't cost us the light bill or food on the table)!

Good Luck!

Thank you for asking Rick, yes I bought my patches and a starter kit for the blu brand electronic cigarette as a back up for the hard times. its much different than a real smoke but has no smell and seems to help. I WILL KICK THIS NASTY HABBIT AND SOON, My life depends on it, and I truly love living. I am putting a lot of faith in God this is where I get my comfort and support.

Again thanks for caring enough to ask and Happy Collecting and may God Bless....Mike

Mike-

I quit. It was one of the more challenging things I have done, but if I can do it I know you can.

It's just two weeks to total freedom! Two weeks can break the cycle and you will never look back. I definitely used the patch because it kept me from choking people, but I also had to switch a few things up. I didn't drink any alcohol at all for a few months after I quit smoking. Alcohol for me was a major smoking trigger. So was coffee, but I got over that one real quick because I would have choked somebody if I had to give up caffeine and nicotine at once.

I also went for a walk after every meal. It doesn't have to be a long one. Just break the cycle of reaching for the smoke.

After the 4th day of not smoking I noticed I no longer hacked my lungs out when I took a hot shower. I was amazed!

After the 7th day I knew I was half way home and there was no stopping me at that point.

The only bad thing is after all the years my wife tried to nag me into quitting what made me do it was when cigs went to $1.80 a pack (you can tell I haven't had a smoke in a while) and the Irish banker in me said screw that noise! It was the wrong reason, but I was glad I did no matter what it took.

I wish you the best my friend and we are all here for you!

Bo

i quit 4 years ago the end of may this year. i do not miss the hacking in the shower every morning and the yellow fingers. i did notice as well that the hugs from the women were longer as well. i say life is good :)