• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Mint Proof Eagles

7 posts in this topic

Greetings! I am curious about my collection of U.S Mint proof Eagles. I have 11 of them. I'm looking for opinions. If they were yours, would you submit them to NGC to have them graded and slabbed? I like the idea but I'm unsure if NGC does these coins. Is this a wise idea, in your opinion(s). Thank you all, in advance, for your input.

Vince

Welcome to the neighborhood, Vince!

Personally, I think you would be wasting your money submitting them for grading unless you knew, positively, that they would all grade PF70UCAM.

Chris

Welcome Vince,

I second Chris' opinion.

I am a collector of these coins as well. I own Proof's in OGP and then I will also purchase a PF70 UCAM on one of the many coin sites.

I like having the raw coins, but also want to own one graded. I'll spare myself the headaches of submitting and let someone else go through the process. The difference between a 69 and a 70 is razor thin. There are many available in the marketplace for reasonable prices if your patient enough to find one.

Joe

I had a 1987-S that was OGP I bought off eBay for $75.00 .... I also bought an 1988 for $35.00 or so when silver was higher but it was not in OGP and was just called Brilliant UC by the web store dealer.

I inspected that 88 so many times and wanted so badly to send it in but there are a couple of tiny imperfections so I never sent it in. I would get the 1987-S out about once a week and study that coin intensely. Every time I was sure that it had no marks and should be considered a 70.

I finally talked myself into sending it in a couple weeks ago ATS. I was very happy and $800.00 plus richer when it came back graded as a PR70DCAM.

I sold it during this past week for $1,075.00 .

My point being, study them multiple times before you send them in since you might miss something the first 6 or 8 times studying the coin. But they will grade them 70 when they deserve it, or at least in my case they did.

Thank you all for your advice! I will take the time and consider my next step. Seems to be pros and cons to both. At any rate, very nice to know people are paying attention to the posts and willing to put forth the effort it takes to reply! Awesome!