• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Proof-65 half dollar: Buy, sell, or hold?

1936 PCGS Proof-65 half; Buy, sell, or hold?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. 1936 PCGS Proof-65 half; Buy, sell, or hold?

10 posts in this topic

Let's say you had a 1936 Proof half dollar in a recent blue label PCGS holder. A few months ago Coins magazine said it's retail price was $3250, but now it says $6600 (!?) Would you buy one if you did not have one (or buy another if you already had one)? Or would you sell one if you had one? Or would you just hold the coin if you had one? And I would appreciate it if you would tell why you voted the way you did

I voted that I would sell and, since I have cast the only vote, I can tell you that there is 100% agreement among the voters on this issue! wink.gif To me, this coin would represent the opportunity to buy a few coins that I believe are more scarce or rare and that are more historically, to me, interesting. This coin could be turned into an 1804 quarter in F12, a Gobrecht dollar in PF12 or an 1836 RE half in EF45 and in each instance there would be about $2,000 left over. This $2,000 could then be used to do whatever you wanted. So, the shifting of resources would make me sell the coin immediately.

So, what would you do? I ask since you posted the question yet have not voted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

TomB,

for your information, I voted "I would hold onto the coin, but I think the price will drop soon." I like to keep my coins forever, and I'm not in it to make a profit.

I also voted to sell. In fact, I just sold one on Ebay about 3 weeks ago. It was a beautiful non-milky coin that really brought out all that is beautiful with that series.

Although I believe the coin is maxed out pricewise( at least for the current time), I imagine the coin will hold its value fairly well given that it is the first proof minted in a very popular series. However I sold to diversify my holdings. Like Tom said, there are alot of other key coins that I feel are more rare that I could buy with the $$$$.

hard for me to say without seeing the coin and then even if i saw the coin it all depends on what YOU want to do

for me

if it is just an average non cameoed and/or non colored coin combined with the high pops in proof65 and higher i would sell the coin as i feel there are many more value opportunity buys in coins right now

and RIGHT NOW non special non cameoed non colored proof walkers do not do much for me

but anything is open for change

michael

If I owned one and it double in price I'd sell immediately. I do not care for proof coins myself so it would be a goner. Of course, this ignores the fact is I would probably never own such a piece in the first place.

jom

Lots of posibilites here. I would personally keep it regardless of price trends. Not only do I like my proff coins, but it is a key date (as far as being the first year of proffs go), and it sure makes a very nice part of any collection. But here are some tangents to put into play.

* I would sell if I had more than one.

* I would sell if I was not a fan of proff coins/walker halfs.

* I would sell if I needed the money (think of all the other coins you could buy with $6600!!!)

Tuff decision to make. confused-smiley-013.gif It comes down to what you want. Do you like the coin, and want to keep it as part of your collection, or do you want to get rid of it. Forget about the monetary value factor when you make your decision, because most likely it will lead you into making the wrong decision.

I voted to keep it even if prices fall because isn't part of the fun to at least try to complete a collection? And who doesn't want to own at least one coin that few collectors can obtain at any price in high grade?

But this logic also depends on a number of factors, like how bad do you need the money? If I somehow obtained a high grade 1916-D Merc and my set was only 10% complete I guess I would sell because I am just starting out. But if my set was 70% complete I'd hold that sucker untill the bill collectors tried to repo my house, or some similar financial need! The least I would do is get a pedigree just to have the bragging rights. sumo.gif

lclugza:

When I first started collecting again in the early 1990s, the very FIRST coin I purchased was a 1936 PCGS PR64 Walker. A couple of years later my collecting goals had risen, so I managed to buy a 1936 PCGS PR65 Walker. Even though their prices have risen, I still have both coins because both are meaningful to me. I have toyed with the idea of selling the PR64 but everytime I look at it, I am reminded that it is the only slabbed coin of mine that my father saw before he passed away. So, my vote was to keep the coin. But, in truth my vote is to keep the coin IF it is meaningful for you.

Mark