• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1838 large cent

9 posts in this topic

I agree that it has a few problems, but the grained look is nice. I would might even consider conservation just to have the graining , but I would have to think about that a little.

wheat

I am pretty sure conservation and shipping charges would far outweigh the price of the coin. For what I paid I might keep it or see what my local guy would pay for it. Do you think vf details?

VF30

That is what I am thinking.

It has the sharpness of a VF-30, but surface issues and the streaky color net grade is down to a lower level, like Fine-15. The green crud that is inside the curls on the obverse might lift off, at least in part, with a toothpick, but if it is "in the coin," it is corrosion, and that knocks down the grade.

Finding problem free large cents is not easy these days because a lot of the good ones are impounded in collections, and Early American Copper (EAC) dealers buy and sell a lot of the available supply. Other dealers don't get the handle large numbers of these coins.

The fact that I am color blind probably does not help me find stuff that others see. I am posting a penny as well and am curious as to what the color may be as well as a possible grade.

Being color blind does complicate things. I guess I could try turning some color photos into B&W photos on my computer, but it would take me a while to figure out how to spot corrosion when it different shades of gray.

There are different shades of copper corrotion. Green is the best known, but there is red corrosion too, and that might be impossible to see in a B&W photo. Corroded copper can also turn black.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have an easy answer for you.

After you had mentioned it I went back and studied it more closely and I saw what you had seen.

Yeah being color blind hurts in many areas. It limited what I could do in the Army and made it really difficult to deer hunt. The deer had to be moving before I would see it.

will try to remove that small green area in the curl with some acetone and maybe the careful toothpick method you talked about Bill. For 27 bucks it seemed to look better than most coins in that price range.