• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lady Liberty is NOT looking well .......

18 posts in this topic

....that or she just needs some sun.

One pic is from PCGSCOINFACTS, the other is from Stacks/Bowers May offering. I'm sure you can figure out which is which.

Picture13_zps6223d517.png

So have you seen this coin in hand?

If so which is accurate. I have purchased a few toners from stacks in the past and the coin was represented well.

I hear lots of bad things about PCGS pics though.

There Heritage photo is probably the most accurate of the three, IMO.

Simply applying the "the truth is somewhere in between" theory, I agree.

The Heritage image still looks BAD and Heritage images are usually pretty accurate. I don't like the Stacks images, as they are usually distorted but, through the years, I've learned how to interpret them, too.

Ironically, I have a dime similar to this with (what I think is ) die polish near the forehead and behind the head just as this one shows.

Is that die polish marks?

Ironically, I have a dime similar to this with (what I think is ) die polish near the forehead and behind the head just as this one shows.

Is that die polish marks?

I don't think so----I believe this was the product of dipping.

I don't care for the coin, but I do like the side by side image comparison for the coin. I think threads like this can be revealing over time in discerning the trends among the photographers for those who are not familiar with each of these (i.e. I have rarely used Stacks-Bowers, etc. so I have found this interesting).

That is the sole Top Pop MS67FB 1936-S FS-110. I was the underbidder at the Heritage sale when it was in a non-designated PCGS Holder. I was the high bidder at the end of internet bidding. I allowed someone to trump my bid during the live auction. I pushed the price up to where it should be. If the new owner thinks they are going to end up with a wind-fall I think they are mistaken. Heck, there was even a thread about the coin ATS during the Heritage Auction so "half" the world knew about it. All of the "active" Mercury Dime Variety set builders were aware of the coin in the Heritage sale. This example is very weakly struck and does not have strong evidence of the variety, but it is most certainly the variety. I have a feeling that the new owner will have a high reserve on this coin, trying for a wind fall and it will not sell. If it were my coin, I would want that spot out in a very bad way. I own a MS65FB version of this variety and until I can Cherrypick a higher graded example, I will be happy to stay with my 65FB.