• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880-O Will it make it above 60?

22 posts in this topic

I am thinking that it might could possibly make it past the MS60 mark but I bought it and when I received it I noticed it was beat up a great deal more than what I thought it was.

Anyway from these pictures, that are not very good at all I know, I thought maybe they were good enough to figure if it might make it past a 60 if submitted or if it is destined for the AU camp.

REMOVED 1ST SET OF PICTURES

I had played with the gamma and contrast a bit hoping to be able to show the marks a little better. Anyway ... above a 60 or no? Another 'Details' coin perhaps?

I took better pictures this time. Now you can really tell how badly beat up it is.

DSCN2369.JPG

DSCN2371.JPG

After posting these last pictures I don't even know why I asked in the 1st place. Looks really bad.

It is painful to see a coin having been treated in such a manner.

Yep. Just another for the envelope storage.

I wonder if that is the quickest way to have a coin tone or if there is a better method? And how on earth do some of these coins rainbow tone like a piece of artwork? Are there any environmental conditions that causes that or is it just luck of the draw and/or possibly the manner in which one particular coin was minted vs another?

I suggest that you do not buy any raw coins until you learn more about grading.

Where did I state that I bought that coin? That was a give me. Came with some bills I bought. Why? Don't know. It was just there with them.

As far as the 60 grade.... Levity has no place in this forum apparently. Why is everyone like they have a stick up their .....?

I stand corrected I did say bought....but I bought it with some other bills. 10 star notes.

After going back in my eBay history I am wrong once again ... that was a 1921 Morgan that was a give me... With the Star Notes. and I did in fact buy that particular coin and it cost me $44.95 and that as based off of these apparently Photoshopped pictures.

Did you sell that to me?

137116.jpg.1e8ff86a9b4dc2026e5ffc359a5fec76.jpg

137117.jpg.cb83dc8d1bc4732127fa747130a9474e.jpg

I wanted toadd one more thing. The advice was not to buy any raw coins until I learn to grade them properly.

Ok. Let's look and see what examples I have.

You see both sets of pictures represented above. The ones I took that detail the badly scarred up face and such .... Now go back and read all the comments. AU, Now Way, Not even close.

Now let's look at a recent picture of an equally, if not worse, example of one screwed up face on a coin and then notice the grades given by the teachers here.

They gave the following coin the grades such as: 62, 62 or 63, and even Mark Feld said that the coin was probably a 60 perhaps 61.....Yet later says that it looks like a wreck.

Curious.

137118.jpg.556d9c8ba93268af1499a0f795fb8333.jpg

137119.jpg.15fc97cedc01d671b159c1bc4b89cf6f.jpg

I suggest that you do not buy any raw coins until you learn more about grading.

Where did I state that I bought that coin? That was a give me. Came with some bills I bought. Why? Don't know. It was just there with them.

As far as the 60 grade.... Levity has no place in this forum apparently. Why is everyone like they have a stick up their .....?

No need to insult other members. If you don't want honest answers, why ask for others opinions? I agree that you should be carefull buying raw coins. There is much to learn.

No need to insult other members.

Yes I do apologize to all for that semi insulting remark. Heat of the moment. (shrug)

I would grade the 1899-O silver dollar that you posted as an MS-60. The coin does not appear to have any rub, and appears to have full luster. The extensive marks on the face lower the grade to the bottom of the Mint State scale which ranges from MS-60 to 70.

This coin is not very attractive to my eye, and it is an example of how an AU-58 graded piece with a tiny bit of rub but smooth surfaces with minimal number of marks can be more desirable in the eyes of some collectors than a marked up MS-60.

I hope I've not been to harsh with you. I'm just trying to be objective.

I hope I've not been to harsh with you. I'm just trying to be objective.

Not at all. I like how you explain your reasoning behind certain grades.

While the 99-O has a tremendous amount of bag marks, it still has luster and there doesn't appear to be any circulation wear. I don't like the coin, but you'd still have to grade it MS.

When you look at the 80-O, there looks to be a lot of rub on most of the features. The eagles chest didn't appear to have many features left at all. The feathers in the middle of his head appear to be warn. You can see the coin has been tilted in the second photo and the rims appear to have wear too. Look at the arrow heads as well. You can barely see definition. From your second set of photos, it looks polished to me as well.

That 99-O came back as a MS61. That's my coin! Haha! It is pretty beat up but I liked the toning around the rims. I have to admit that I overgraded that coin originally but have since come to my senses and agreed completely with the MS61 given. In fact, I think that 61 may have been a little generous. I think the only thing that helped it get that extra point was the luster.

While the 99-O has a tremendous amount of bag marks, it still has luster and there doesn't appear to be any circulation wear. I don't like the coin, but you'd still have to grade it MS.

When you look at the 80-O, there looks to be a lot of rub on most of the features. The eagles chest didn't appear to have many features left at all. The feathers in the middle of his head appear to be warn. You can see the coin has been tilted in the second photo and the rims appear to have wear too. Look at the arrow heads as well. You can barely see definition. From your second set of photos, it looks polished to me as well.

I understand where you fella's are coming from and I see the difference now.

Deerfan ..... Congrats. That isn't a bad grade for that coin imo. A 63 would have been better for you I am sure. ;)

The grading services almost never use the MS or PR 60 grade. I don't know why, but that seems to be their mindset.

I agree. They also don't use the MS/PF61 as much either, although it appears to be used more than the MS/PF60 grade.

I stand corrected I did say bought....but I bought it with some other bills. 10 star notes.

After going back in my eBay history I am wrong once again ... that was a 1921 Morgan that was a give me... With the Star Notes. and I did in fact buy that particular coin and it cost me $44.95 and that as based off of these apparently Photoshopped pictures.

Did you sell that to me?

These seller's pics are WORSE than yours. I wouldn't have bought that lifeless, dull-looking coin at all. Though the wear comes out more in them, It actually looked better in your pics.

At 44.95 you're not gonna suffer a big loss over it though..