• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1897-O Morgan

17 posts in this topic

It is designated DMPL. I know the owner, and have seen it in hand, and it is a screamer. It has never been to CAC.

56224bf6-3d94-4e1c-882e-df5750737900_zps6682d939.jpg

1897_O-rev_zps5a8d63d8.jpg

It's hard to say based on the images, which could easily marks.

I'll guess 62 DMPL.

Edited to add: Upon further reflection, I lowered my guess by one point for additional marks that were overlooked previously.

IS it a 67? Just starting to study grading.

Skeeter

Skeeter – we can all tell from your grade guess that you just started to study grading. :grin:

Highest grade I see listed for this coin as a DMPL is MS 64 .

PCGS price guide. MS62 DMPL = $10,000. MS63 DMPL = $19,500. MS64 DMPL = $45,000. No prices higher than MS64 DMPL.

It appears I was totally wrong on the guess but I usually think too low when viewing some of the posts so was swayed by the screamer comment rather than a rational observation. I have have two publications on grading but have not studied them very well yet. Mostly looking at previous posts for a few months.Thanks for the comment.

Skeeter

"It has never been to CAC."

I wonder how such a claim can be made with any validity, when the coin has sold previously in a public auction?

Did the same person own the coin from the time it was graded/encapsulated, to when it was consigned to and sold in auction, and still owns it now? If not, it's highly doubtful that someone could know the coin has never been to CAC. ;)

I wonder how such a claim can be made with any validity, when the coin has sold previously in a public auction?

Did the same person own the coin from the time it was graded/encapsulated, to when it was consigned to and sold in auction, and still owns it now? If not, it's highly doubtful that someone could know the coin has never been to CAC. ;)

Or the same owner has had it since 2007.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I should have written, but forgot that CAC hasn't necessarily been around since the time the coin was graded/encapsulated.

The coin sold in auction in August of 2010. So, in theory, at least, it could have been submitted to CAC any time between the formation of CAC and consignment to the auction. And/or by whomever bought it out of the sale, and/or by whomever, if anyone, bought it subsequent to that, before it ended up with its current owner.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I should have written, but forgot that CAC hasn't necessarily been around since the time the coin was graded/encapsulated.

The coin sold in auction in August of 2010. So, in theory, at least, it could have been submitted to CAC any time between the formation of CAC and consignment to the auction. And/or by whomever bought it out of the sale, and/or by whomever, if anyone, bought it subsequent to that, before it ended up with its current owner.

In theory, aren't consignors able to bid on their own items with a penalty? If so, the same owner could have kept his coin notwithstanding the auction. See the linked for the only time I have seen this done before LINK.

On another note, I am not disagreeing with you and your answer is the most plausible. I'm just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.

In theory, aren't consignors able to bid on their own items with a penalty? If so, the same owner could have kept his coin notwithstanding the auction. See the linked for the only time I have seen this done before LINK.

On another note, I am not disagreeing with you and your answer is the most plausible. I'm just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.

In most cases, a consignor can place a reserve, and if it's not met, the coin usually/hopefully shows as not sold.

And yes, one way or another, a consignor can probably bid on his own coin. And if he or his bidding representative "wins" it, he pays a penalty to, in effect, keep the coin. In that case, the coin would probably show as sold.

So it is possible that the current owner knows the coin has never been to CAC. But that would require knowing each owner of the coin from the time CAC opened for business. And getting good/accurate/reliable information from the previous owner or owners regarding the coin's submission (or non-submission) history.

When I had a non CAC coin for sale, if I knew it had failed to sticker, I disclosed that in my description of the coin. And if I didn't know whether it had been submitted to CAC previously and someone asked, I told them that I didn't submit it, but had no idea what its history was prior to my having acquired it.

The current owner acquired the coin in 2010 and has not sent to CAC or for re-grade evaluation. I did not think CAC was around prior to 2010, if it was then my statement was in error based on that assumption.

The current owner acquired the coin in 2010 and has not sent to CAC or for re-grade evaluation. I did not think CAC was around prior to 2010, if it was then my statement was in error based on that assumption.

Time flies. CAC has been around longer than I thought!

Do we get to see the grade? :)

The grade is MS-62 DMPL. Having seen it in hand, to me it appears undergraded by at least 1 pt.