• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent

3 posts in this topic

My first impulse was in the AU-50 range but after careful consideration I'd call it at EF-45. There are some details missing that I'd like to see in an AU coin, namely in the knot of the ribbon and detail in the oak leaves on the reverse; and on the tip of the eagle's left wing and tail.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the coin looks dipped and/or abrasively cleaned, although not terribly so. I don't think it would get a problem free slab.

Pictures can be tricky, another lighting angle could change the story one way or the other. In any case, it seems to be a fairly nice coin!

EF-45 sharpness, but I would net it out at EF-40. It's got some wear on the eagle's belly and there may have been a spot or toning removed the area between the eagle and the date. The tail is flat struck, but that is normal for this coin. Overall I'd say that the eye appeal is average. Whatever the EF price is gives you the value for this coin.