• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions for how to remove tape residue from a coin? updated

14 posts in this topic

As title states

I have a nice silver dollar with very nice toning but there's a tape mark in the toning with residue.

What's my best bet to remove this tape residue without turning the toning on the coin in any way?

update posted on post 12

Thanks I appreciate the boards knowledge and patience with my novice questions.

I agree with the acetone responses 100%. Should that fail, then it means there is something more insidious than mere tape residue, and you may have to resort to something stronger. 95% of the time, though acetone wins.

Ask NCS. They did an excllent job removing tape residue from some of the old Money Museum coins.

Yup acetone is the only safe option, you can put it in a non-plastic closed container and let it soak for a while and it should come right off. I don't know what is in Koinsolv and it is probably not listed on the bottle, and without knowing what it contains I would agree to 'Ask NCS' and pay them their small fee rather than risking anything but acetone on the coin.

Best, HT

Ask NCS. They did an excllent job removing tape residue from some of the old Money Museum coins.

I think their methods and processes are proprietary. In other words, I doubt they'll want to give up any of their trade secrets.

Maybe if you ask they will give you some suggestions...? The worst they can say is "Nope."

Whiteknight,

Is this the coin you posted in the most recent acquisition thread? If so, do you have a close up picture?

Nick

Nick,

No this coin is a 22D peace it was in an album but taped on the observe. It's turned some very nice blues greens and pinks.

The one I posted in the recent acquisitions is an UNC problem free coin. If I can't sell her at Santa Clara then Ill grade her and consign her.

Freddie