• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nothing special I'm leaning towards 64.

12 posts in this topic

Got it on the cheap, a couple hits from a 5. Like always, the reverse is 65 and the obverse takes all the punishment. The only good thing about a 79P is that, it's not an S :)

da084e44-cd5e-4809-9cbe-12f7faa44ca2_zps040d0477.jpg

51a3a810-dc56-4da6-aa5d-733ece17d93d_zps54171f17.jpg

I've seen many 65's that looked worse. Only one really distracting shot on the cheek. A couple small ones around the eye and 2 at the base of the neck. Reverse is sweet. Only issue is the small carbon spot between the wreaths and the tail feathers.

64 for sure, maybe a 65.

MS-64 is the true grade, but of late I've seen some "grade-flation" going on with Morgan dollars, especially in the MS-66 grade. A number of well known marketers in both the grading and the retail and auction sides of the business are pushing this trend which is centered around down playing "carbon spots," nicks and scratches.

I suppose if nicks and marks don't matter as much on Mint State coins, then I guess the only way to determine the various Mint State grades is by examining the amount of rub or wear that is on the coin. If you think that is an absurd statement you are getting the drift of how I feel about this grading trend.

MS-64 is the true grade, but of late I've seen some "grade-flation" going on with Morgan dollars, especially in the MS-66 grade. A number of well known marketers in both the grading and the retail and auction sides of the business are pushing this trend which is centered around down playing "carbon spots," nicks and scratches.

I suppose if nicks and marks don't matter as much on Mint State coins, then I guess the only way to determine the various Mint State grades is by examining the amount of rub or wear that is on the coin. If you think that is an absurd statement you are getting the drift of how I feel about this grading trend.

Heck, if that's the case, and I'm not doubting you, then why even issue anything other than a flat Circulated, About Un-circulated and Mint State?

I've seen some 66's and can't believe my eyes either. As I've learned from reading many threads on this site, that's why you have to examine every coin. "Buy the Coin, not the Label".

I agree with the 64+ opinions.

Though it looks better then some 65's I've seen, the location of the small marks is gonna keep it from 65.. Very nice coin.