• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883-O Mogan GTG......but wait there's a bonus round......

20 posts in this topic

ok this should be an interesting one. i picked up this 1883-O Morgan at a local auction house i drop in on from time to time. Not a high end place by any meaning of the term but every now and then i catch some decent coins here. so the last item that went up was this morgan, a last minute add on. i did the best i could on pics but they were still bad so i loaded extra to try and make up for it. round one GTG........ bonus round.... guess what grading company (if youd even call it that) graded this coin. Ive only seen a few coins slabbed by this "grading company" and that was a few years ago. have at it guys......

92af4c16-9e12-4ad6-a461-c4f7888de31b_zpsd86f9113.jpg

20130405_041406_zpsd135cc0c.jpg

20130405_041326_zps6b25a821.jpg

20130405_041305_zps90035a78.jpg

20130405_041126_zpsc03417bd.jpg

20130405_040959_zps4d436844.jpg

20130405_040945_zps896ac20f.jpg

20130405_040842_zps0286f909.jpg

20130405_040611_zps9c599bd7.jpg

20130405_040543_zpsd8cd76f8.jpg

20130405_040043_zpsce3e1527.jpg20130405_040039_zps6a994625.jpg20130405_040002_zps0b7af13f.jpg20130405_035901_zps10b56221.jpg20130405_035700_zps6f5bcff5.jpg

MS64PL

That's what I think they graded it at but I don't think it is that. No clue on the slab. (shrug)

Based off the 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th pictures I think maybe MS62PL if that is even possible to have PL on a 62 grade. If not then 63.

It states that the luster maybe original or impaired so I think the original luster is there but the distracting marks (what looks to be distracting gouges, etc.) in the prime focal points on the obverse is what kills it.

That doesn't even look like the same coin. Amazing how macro photography can make a coin look like ***bleep*** ...

So do you think it will cross? Or does that not interest you?

Not worth sending in.

I recommend that you let your posts marinate for a few days. Lots of folks are being distracted by bright shiny things.

Hard to marinate on a fresh coin for a few days Blive. Im sure you can understand. And wdrob, i highly doubt itd cross. this would probably cross the same day i find a roll of double eagles in a cracker jack box lol. in the opinion of this noob at least. i would guess around a 63. But i am wondering about a possible PL now. i can read 7 inchs off the reverse and im looking into a possible vam.

WCG is one of those companies that rates about even with the guy who slabs coins in his basement and sells them on eBay. The grade on the slab is inflated to increase his sales price to unsuspecting buyers.

It is difficult to judge based on the pictures. But keep in mind the 1883-O is a very common coin in high grade. Your example has a lot of marking in the fields and the strike is weak. It is also a coin that is commonly PL. I don't see anything that would lead me to think your example has an PL characteristics.

Based solely on the pictures provided I would grade it at MS63, different pictures might change my opinions, but based on pictures 4,5, and 7 I see a lot of contact marks.

That being said it would not be worth your time to submit for slabbing. NGC and PCGS won't crossover in that current slab so you would have to crack it out to submit.

I would have said MS63. It is not worth sending it, and I agree with the other comments that this is not a legitimate coin grading service. The coins should be treated as raw or worse.

And wdrob, i highly doubt itd cross. this would probably cross the same day i find a roll of double eagles in a cracker jack box lol.

Hahaha! Well you stand a chance since they put a Sacagawea Dollar in a box of Cheerios at one time... They are worth quite a bit of money too. ;)

WCG is considered a basement slabbing company. You probably have a 63 maybe a 64. The coin is not PL. This will not cross as a MS 66 – just leave it in the current slab.

I had no intentions of sending it in to be crossed over. I got a really good deal on it and thought itd be a fun gtg with a twist. The coin in hand is near PL. Im basing that off how far I can read a news paper in its reflection. The reverse I can read about 8 inchs and obverse I can only read about 4, more in the clearer spots. I also noticed something very odd about the date. Ill see if I can get a clear photo. I noticed the "1" was a bit thick so I got out the microscope and the 1 appears to be a 1 over 1? With one of them tilting to the right. Making it have almost a bent or curved look

I am not sure about grade but I can tell or at least I think I can tell that it is a Vam-36a E reverse. I see the die chips in ear and the clash mark right above the mintmark and on eagle's neck on reverse as the pups. Look for the clashed E on the reverse below the tailfeathers toward the left side as you view it. Should see the "E" clash. It is the "E" from LIBERTY on the obverse. You may have to angle it in the light in order to see the "E". It can add a little more premium to the value of your coin. It is not a rare variety but a very interesting one. There are a couple of prooflikes in this type vam which would add more of a premium. I added the link below for you to check. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.vamworld.com/1883-O+VAM-36A