• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1887-P GSA Morgan Dollar

7 posts in this topic

I am sending this coin into NGC tomorrow. I will post the results when they are available online. Anyone have any thoughts on the grade of this coin? I haven't gotten a proper photography rig setup so I hope these images will suffice. Thank you for any input!

Notes: There are several areas where light is reflecting scratches to the plastic (by BUS and under Liberty's chin on the OBV, through the Eagle's head, between ONE and DOLLAR on the REV). The reverse is nearly flawless, one small mark to the right of the Eagle's wing and light chatter on the breast.

Behind Liberty's cap is a strike-through. How might something like this impact the grade, if at all?

1887GSAOBV_zps978cb0a6.jpg

1887GSAREV_zpscc46b976.jpg

That is a nice Morgan. The marks on the Obverse as well as the Reverse do happen to be within the Prime Focal Points but that one on the Reverse is not bad at all and like you said the Reverse is really nice.

MS64 and maybe a MS65 if they take the Reverse premium condition into consideration.

I don't know much about this stuff though so I was just giving my guess to see how I am progressing.

The coin looks MS64 to me and probably not worth submitting. In the vast majority of cases, a high quality reverse will not bump up the grade - the obverse carries the grade.

Thank you for the opinions so far. In hand I feel the coin is a lock 65 and even a shot at + or higher.

In my experience, MS-64 coins almost exclusively have several what I can only describe as gashes, even in prime focal areas. MS-65 coins seem to have at least a few. This coin has some contact marks but nothing that 'breaks the surface' so to speak.

I have my fingers crossed. I know it is easy to be overly optimistic as the submitter. I look forward to any other thoughts on this one.

This coin will stay in the GSA holder, going for one of the NGC bands for GSA hard packs. To have it crossed to a commercial slab would be a crime!