• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need some error help

15 posts in this topic

Old lady is into errors and I can usually answer all of her questions but she really stumped me tonight. She wants to know what a "Die adjustment strike" is. Can somebody please explain the process and how these coins come about.Truly appreciate it! (thumbs u

Thanks

Jon

I believe it is a very weakly struck coin that was produced before the dies were calibrated close enough together to produce fully struck coins. The first few coins (basically "test" strikes to see whether the dies were adjusted properly) should have been destroyed at the mint as being unfit for distribution, but some few that escape "erroneously" are collectable as errors.

Incidentally, this is why in the past, I have thought that so-called "first strike" coins actually had the potential to be of poorer quality than "second strike", since back in the old days, the coins first struck would have been made in blind faith that the dies were properly adjusted. After being checked for quality, the dies would be tweaked so as to produce better coins in subsequent strikes. However, our own RWB has indicated to me that such is not the case, at least today.

I do know that for some early type coins, there are examples where the early die state examples have generally worse detail than later die states, which would show that the mint made adjustments during live production.

According to Alan Herbert's The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors installation of the die pair includes adjusting the dies so that they are centered and the correct distance apart. To do this, the die setter will usually strike several test coins to make the final adjustments and gradually increase the pressure until it is great enough to bring up the coin metal in the design on both sides of the coin.

III-I-1 Die Adjustment Strike

A die adjustment strike is defined as: A coin struck during the adjustment of the dies, showing on the struck coin as weakly struck parts of the design appearing on both sides of the coin, the rest missing because of low striking pressure.

Usually, the central design will be the first to show up, with the lettering around the rim last. Since the appearance of a weak strike or a filled die strike may be similar, to fall in this class, the coin design must exhibit equal and regular weakness on both sides of the coin.

Chris

Often a severe grease filled die will be misidentifed as a die adjustment strike. One way to tell the two apart is to examine the edge of the coin and the rims. On a very weak/die adjustment strike the edge of the coin will not be well formed because the force of the strike was insufficient to force the planchet into the collar and the rims will definitely not strike up.. But on a grease filled die, even though the coin detail isn't visible, there is actually MORE material than normal between the dies so the pressure is actually higher than normal and the planchet is forced stronger into the collar and the coin will show a well formed edge and normally a well formed rim.

The "die setter" is a specific job function that changes out the coin dies and then makes adjustments to the die gap to obtain the optimum strike of the coin planchet.

Any samples that are struck and not up to standards, should be collected and destroyed. Once satisfied, the die setter then turns over the coining press to the press operator to produce currency.

How some of these adjustment strikes get out of the Mints are a certainly one of those strange mysteries.

A Die Trial Adjustment Strike is a planchet used by the press operator to adjust the proper press striking pressure prior to doing a production run.

The rims are not fully formed and non reeded.

Here's a uber scarce ASE $1 Die Trial Adjustment Strike...

First-est Strike, with the First-est Milk Spots ;):P

10er3g4.jpg

A Die Trial Adjustment Strike is a planchet used by the press operator to adjust the proper press striking pressure prior to doing a production run.

10er3g4.jpg

Your eagle has me confused. Isn't the center of the design the first to make contact and the rim and legend the last? Why is the central detail of Liberty and the eagle & shield missing?

Chris

Please tell me that you sent it in for the "First Strike Designation." ;)

This is the neatest modern coin (and certainly Silver Eagle) that I have ever seen. I wonder how something like that escaped. Since these are predominately collector coins, one would think they would screen them a bit better.

So its not really an error per se, unless the error is that it somehow made it out of the mint.

Your eagle has me confused. Isn't the center of the design the first to make contact and the rim and legend the last? Why is the central detail of Liberty and the eagle & shield missing?

Chris

No, not at all. The high points of the die (the low points of the coin) are the first to make contact. This means that the fields and lowest parts of the coin are struck first, and then metal flows up into the highest parts of the design. This is why a weak strike (or a strike where the pressure has not yet been properly adjusted) will show weakness on the highest points of the coin - typically the central detail, and the rims.

So its not really an error per se, unless the error is that it somehow made it out of the mint.

They still have quality control policies. Surely this one wasn't intended to be released to the public.