• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Completed my 5 Star General collection today posted by wmfielding

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A must have for commemorative collectors

Howdy my fellow collectors. Today I received the proof and mint state silver dollar 5 Star General commemorative coins. I now have all 4 coins, the 2013 clad Denver mint mark, mint state half dollar, The clad proof half dollar San Francisco mint mark. A silver dollar proof Philadelphia mint mark. and last but not least a silver dollar West Point mint mark.

All coins have an obverse that features Generals George c Marshall and Dwight D Eisenhower. And a reverse features the Leavenworth lamp with the crest of Fort Leavenworth.

They are stunning coins that I will be proud to add to my commemorative set. All coins available from the US Mint or a dealer near you.

Happy collecting and may God Bless...Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

The silver dollar features George C. Marshall and Dwight D. Eisenhower. The clad half dollar features Henry H. Arnold and Omar N. Bradley. The gold five dollar features Douglas MacArthur.

Beijim

G Mac Unc $5 in the house. I love the original mint packaging but have always sent for grading, not sure if this is the right thing to do even with a MS70 back. Cheers ! RichH

lol, when I'm not looking closely many of these commems appear the same.

I have to admit that although I collect modern United States commemoratives I'm fairly underwhelmed by the United States Mint's recent efforts. The Denver Mint in particular produced deplorable quality in the uncirculated clad 2011-D U.S. Army 50c piece, essentially ruining the issue, and from the coins I've examined so far appears to be well on its way to achieving similarly embarrassing mediocrity with the uncirculated clad 2013-D 5-Star Generals half dollar. It saddens me that the United States Mint takes no more pride than this in its output from formerly venerable institutions such as the Denver Mint facility.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I hope the four new pieces in your collection are perfect and pleasing! I'm optimistic that 2014's National Baseball Hall of Fame coins (supposedly to be high-relief or "curved" as the Mint puts it) will inject badly needed public enthusiasm into the Commemorative Coin Program.

Beijim