• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1984 P Kennedy Half Dollar - strange imprint

7 posts in this topic

Hi All. I am new to collecting, but got into because I work at the bank and see a lot of fun coins come through. This one came through today, it is a 1984 P Kennedy Half Dollar, but what is odd and I could use a more seasoned collectors opinion is, the fact that just off Kennedy's nose is a "Lincoln" imprint, and then behind his head is the year 1964...

Any opinions you have as well as where I should go from here would be appreciated...again I am a novice but enjoy the hunt. :)

136499.jpg.c419ed4d57ec31e3874a818da30da25c.jpg

It is post mint damage.

There are companies that put a stamped half dollar and penny on a card that had some similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy, and then sold the card for $5.

It is worth 50 cents, maybe more to someone who is into that sort of thing.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

There are all sorts of counterstamps that are used on most every denomination of coin. One that is often found on Lincoln cents is the outline of one of the 50 states. Regardless, this is still nothing more than PMD.

Chris

I have a small collection of Kennedy exonumia, mostly because I acquired it in a collection I bought. There are endless variations of this type of thing, none of which has much value except as a curiosity. Novice collectors often pay way too much for it too. Probably has a realistic value of $1 - $2 at a coin show. 50 cents to a dealer.