• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

57 Franklin pf? FBL?

15 posts in this topic

my worst pics yet but i was kinda rushed. i know the bl are weak in places but depending on lighting they run fully across. would it grade it? and what pf grade do you think itd get? and yes its still sealed in the mint plastic

f7767_zps9243b0ce.jpg

f6555_zpsa9dd5e5b.jpg

fff_zps0588dbd5.jpgf44_zpsc0cfbfd1.jpgfff34_zpsf219d472.jpgffff4_zpsacc7201b.jpg

I can't tell whats on the wrapper or coin. The first picture looks like the wrapper is scratched up. It looks like there might be a smoothing in the bell lines just left of the crack. That entire area is a little darker, so its hard for me to tell. I can also be blind though.

This is a proof coin. These had envelopes, cellophane wrapping like the one your showing with that little foil medallion in the package like you are showing. Mint sets in 57 still came in the cardboard holders with single coins inserted.

As for FBL. Yea, the coin is FBL but the proofs pretty much always come FBL and there is no added value nor are they designated.

What you have there are mint sets. Proof sets before 1968 came in cellophane with envelopes much like what you are showing there. Except the envelopes are brown. Proof sets came in hard plastic starting in 1968. Before 1955 they came in box sets with single mylar packages that were stapled together. Some 1955 came in boxes and some were in what are called "flatpacks". Of course there are the SMS or special mint sets from 1965 - 1967 that are a sort of hybrid. The 1965 came in a flat pack and the 66/67 came in a hard case much like a capital holder but it said US Mint on them.

Glad you're asking questions, it's the only way to learn.

What you have there are mint sets. Proof sets before 1968 came in cellophane with envelopes much like what you are showing there. Except the envelopes are brown. Proof sets came in hard plastic starting in 1968. Before 1955 they came in box sets with single mylar packages that were stapled together. Some 1955 came in boxes and some were in what are called "flatpacks". Of course there are the SMS or special mint sets from 1965 - 1967 that are a sort of hybrid. The 1965 came in a flat pack and the 66/67 came in a hard case much like a capital holder but it said US Mint on them.

well then im lost. . . . the coin in question that im being told is a proof came from a set in these envelopes that im being told are mint sets...... how could that have happened?

well then im lost. . . . the coin in question that im being told is a proof came from a set in these envelopes that im being told are mint sets...... how could that have happened?

The picture you posted is of mint sets from the late 60's and 70's. Proof sets of these years came in plastic slabs and boxes from the mint.

Proof Sets