• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally broke down and made myself purchase it !!!!!

7 posts in this topic

I finally bought the KING of modern coins

18 years of long wishing finally come to me, and I will remember this day in history. Now I waiting for it to arrive from the mailman. I can not say it is the best coin in my collection, but the value of this DANG thing keeps going up.

For all those are still stumped, It is the 1995 W gold and silver eagle set. Even though I bought the set raw, I am wondering if I should send it to get graded? Any thoughts if I should send it in for grading !

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

Kudos on adding the set to your collection. To answer your question regarding grading, my own personal opinion is I would want the coins graded and encapsulated. That's just me and I am sure there are plenty out there that would say keep them in the OGP.

Either way what a beautiful addition!

Best Wishes!

Here would be my evil plan: Examine the silver eagle with a 10X loupe, if you do not see any marks, have it graded, sell your PF70 coin for $10,000+, use the money to buy another set and repeat. ;)

If you think it would grade PF69 or lower, only have the set graded if you want the registry points. I would take the points but these OGP sets are becoming increasingly rare due to nuts with an evil plan who think they might have a perfect coin. :)

You could hit the lottery IF the SAE grades PF-70. One just sold last night on Great Collections for $86,654.70 with buyers fee. I wish I would have had the money to buy 5 of them in 1995. Oh well, congratulations on the new addition to your collection.

Gary

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/108300/1995-W-1-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-Proof-70-DCAM-Struck-at-West-Point-Mint-Label

First Congrats!! There is no wrong answer when you own the "coin of coins" when it comes to the Silver Eagles!

It does seem that the '69's are not as valuable as the OGPs. As one commenter so accurately pointed out, the OGP sets are getting super rare & carry a substantial value on their own. I'd take the coin to a top individual who can examine the coin and see if there are ANY flaws of ANY kind that he / she can see. IF it passes that test, then you almost have to go for the pinnacle of collecting Silver Eagles... the pf 70 1995 (W)!

Man, I get a chill just writing it & YOU actually have a potential!! I must admit I'm a tad green around the edges writing this, but that is my honest opinion on how I'd approach it.

I'm sure everyone here has a favorite "go to" guy when they need something very special, such as evaluating an ungraded coin for possible submission. I prefer James Mayer at MN rare coin. He has a web site of the same name I've not been a member here long & if putting a name out is a "no no" I do apologize. The LAST thing I want is to get on a black list for inappropriate posting.

I agree with Rawhides strategy. Find a trusted grader to give a look see. If you have a 10x loupe or stereo microscope, you should also examine everything on the coin and see if you think it's a PF70 first.

If you see a flaw, I'd keep it in the set raw and wait a few years.