• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i never get pennies right.....

17 posts in this topic

For some reason pennies are the hardest thing in the world for me to grade. again sorry for the bad photos but anyone want to take a shot at grade and if its worth anything ? thanks for the help

hkhjkgg_zps18182e87.jpg

ytiiiyyyy_zps7c52548f.jpg

tydidd_zps96c6f80b.jpg

uyitiii_zps4ba83883.jpg

jfgjffff_zpse132f730.jpg

hjfgj_zps75415a32.jpg

and is it just me or is there slight doubling in these last 2?

Capturejg_zpsb24f00fa.jpg

Capture_zps1f984698.jpg

It appears to be a proof ,but it also appears that it may have a lacquer or some other coating. It may be the photo but something just does not look right about the finish, and the more I look at it the more I am convinced that the coin has been monkeyed with. A proof coin would have a much stronger strike especially in the beard and hair area. A better photo would help.

wheat

it is out of a proof set i got a few years back. the plastic case was so scratched you could hardly see the coins inside, looked like someone took sandpapper to both sides (not sure why theyd do that or if thats actually what happened. so i popped the sealed case myself to put the coins in a new holder so im sure the coin doesnt have any coating or anything on it. ill try to take better photos when i get home in a few hours. thanks for the input

It appears to be a proof ,but it also appears that it may have a lacquer or some other coating. It may be the photo but something just does not look right about the finish, and the more I look at it the more I am convinced that the coin has been monkeyed with. A proof coin would have a much stronger strike especially in the beard and hair area. A better photo would help.

wheat

ill go along with that as well. a better pic would help bunches :)

it is out of a proof set i got a few years back. the plastic case was so scratched you could hardly see the coins inside, looked like someone took sandpapper to both sides (not sure why theyd do that or if thats actually what happened. so i popped the sealed case myself to put the coins in a new holder so im sure the coin doesnt have any coating or anything on it. ill try to take better photos when i get home in a few hours. thanks for the input

Are you sure it was in government plastic?

If you look at the coat lapel about 3/4 the way down you can see what appears to be a bubble or run of what looks to be a foreign substance on the surface of the coin. I am not doubting you took it out of plastic, I just wonder who put it in the plastic.

wheat

wheat

I'm thinking that a lot of the issues are with the photography. That's why I said what I did.

no theres no glue, i just looked lol this is what i pulled it from

SAM_6025_zps2eb2f91b.jpg

SAM_6027_zpscad08470.jpg

That holder was scratched up on purpose, no normal wear and tear would do that. This convinces me even more that somebody monkeyed with that set. What do the rest of the coins look like.

wheat