• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which toner do you prefer?

14 posts in this topic

I think they both probably would find their way into MS64 holders, but both have subdued luster and the coin on the left has a weak strike. I dislike both of them equally (no offense meant by it; you ask for opinions on eye appeal though).

Edited to add: I am assuming the discoloration on the high points is just a difference in coloring and not wear.

I agree. The toning is thick on these and with the current picture it looks like some blemishes might be camouflaged. I'm gonna shoot for 64 as well. For eye appeal, no offense, but I'm not fond of either. The 2nd one if I had to chose.

What are the dates? Even if it was 1 common and 1 rare, my opinion wouldn't change.

Just trying to get a handle on what folks like or dislike in terms of toning.

The coin on the left is a PCGS MS-64 and the coin on the right is a NGC MS-62 CAC.

More to come...

Just trying to get a handle on what folks like or dislike in terms of toning.

The coin on the left is a PCGS MS-64 and the coin on the right is a NGC MS-62 CAC.

More to come...

Either the toning is making it difficult to see contact marks, the photography is off, or the second coin looks undergraded to me personally.

Either the toning is making it difficult to see contact marks, the photography is off, or the second coin looks undergraded to me personally.

The second coin has a big mark that runs from Ms. Liberty's eye brow all the way down her cheek. As others have said toning hides marks and wear and so it is easy to miss. If the second coin had no toning the long scratch would be very obvious, and it would be easy to understand why it got the MS-62 grade.

As for the toning, I think the problem here is that it is very thick and has reached the point where it is knocking down a lot of luster. The toning people go ga-ga for lighter, very colorful toning that allows the luster to shine up through it. I think that when these coins are seen in person that the luster will be satiny and subdued.

I think that the color of the second one is broader in spectrum despite the contact marks that are bringing the grade down.

I vote for the second one for COLOR (by a small margin) but the first one appears (and is) a better or higher grade.

I would rather own the FIRST one for my personal collection, since I value a technically higher grade MORE than vivid toning alone. Besides, the toning on the second one is only nominally better----they are almost even.

The second coin has a big mark that runs from Ms. Liberty's eye brow all the way down her cheek. As others have said toning hides marks and wear and so it is easy to miss. If the second coin had no toning the long scratch would be very obvious, and it would be easy to understand why it got the MS-62 grade.

I missed that; thank you for pointing it out to me.

As for the toning, I think the problem here is that it is very thick and has reached the point where it is knocking down a lot of luster. The toning people go ga-ga for lighter, very colorful toning that allows the luster to shine up through it. I think that when these coins are seen in person that the luster will be satiny and subdued.

I think that these look very different in hand as well. It looks like the images may have been edited a little. I'm sure there's still some luster and when tilted right, the blemishes on that 62 will pop

Here is the only Morgan dollar that I have which has "ga-ga" toning, and it's only on the reverse. It has some of the same colors as the pieces that started this thread, but not that it is lighter and does not impair the luster. The effect of having the luster come up throgh the colors is the look that "ga-ga" buyers want. Once they see it they will pay multiple times the price for a piece that would otherwise be viewed as a common date that would sell for the lower type coin prices.

My grade for this raw coin is MS-64.

1879-SDolR_zpse784c14e.jpg1879-SDolO_zps68c85d33.jpg

I prefer the second over the first.

However the second is too thick/dark and lower grade.

The first has some yellow with light blue but not much eye appeal. She also seems lacking in luster. IMO

Going out on a limb with this haphazard guess.

The first is an 83-85 O mint

The second is an early S mint 79-82S