• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the "best" or most useful numismatic Apps for the iPhone?

12 posts in this topic

I might get an opportunity to upgrade to a lightly used iPhone, which would be a quantum leap for me since I've always owned a cheap (read "free") phone for cellular.

So, what apps are "must have"? Are they indispensable enough to make an iPhone a no-brainer? If it matters, I would plan to use it for business as well as personal use (it would be my phone though, not a "company" phone).

Thanks in advance.

If you mean apps for coin collecting I can tell you what NOT to buy, "ICoin HD". I paid $10 for this app and its absolutely useless ! It has the worst user interface, doesn't even come close to listing full sets,even the most commen modern coins like ASEs. I also tried a few "free" apps and I didn't find anything useful. If you are talking about apps in general. There are way too many to list. They have an app for everything. But the few everybody needs. IMO, are probably things like Netflix and Hulu to watch your favorite TV episodes. Flipboard for all your news needs. A book reader of some type, and if you want to web surf with Flash capability s I recommend using the browser called "Photon". I use it almost exclusively. I could go on and on. But it basically depends what you want to do with it. Good luck with your new phone. Regards Bruce

PCGS's photograde app is useful, an app that lets you video chat with others is also useful..maybe you can see the customers coin before he comes in that way. A gps app is also pretty nice to have.

I have 6 apps that are in my coin folder.

Photograde - Helps with grading (I am a newbie)

Coinflation - shows the melt price of any coin and keeps you up-to-date on gold and silver spot prices

US coin collector (or gold collector or coin collector) - I keep track of my coin collection and want lists. Made by Saintsoft. All 3 are about the same but seem to be priced differently

Coin Details - made by NGC. You can look up any NGC certification number to confirm that it matches the item. Probably other uses but that's all I use it for.

CoinBook Pro - Gives prices (not very close to market) that you can't really count on but helps me gauge if its a very expensive or very cheap coin I am looking at.

Kindle - well, not really a coin app but all I read is coin books so I have it in that folder

I also got Flashlight Plus. It cost 99 cents to get rid of their advertisement. It does a very bright flashlight/strobe, mirror... not that I would use that, my wife might, and a pretty awesome magnifier.

Just for you James:

Bears and Blackhawks apps. Let's you keep updated on your favorite teams!

All kidding aside, the eBay app is great. Let's you keep up on everything while on the go. Heritage's app is pretty nice as well.

Just for you James:

Bears and Blackhawks apps. Let's you keep updated on your favorite teams!.

doh!

Is there a "Cubs in the World Series" app :roflmao: ?

Yes, but it's got a lot of bugs and the message displayed usually says "wait 'til next year!"

I just got a smartphone last week.

I really like the NGC Coin details app. Not only can I scan the bar code of a slab to verify it's presence in the NGC database I can also (more importantly) see the retail value and upcoming auctions of that date/MM. It also includes the coin specs such as mintage, composition, etc.

Another feature is that it will show varieties that NGC will put on their holder for that date/MM, though there is no information about the markers for that variety so unless you already know them it isn't very useful.

Finally, the app remembers the coins I've scanned, so I can reference them later. I like that feature a lot.

Oh, and its free. What's not to love about that?