• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is killing meeee! posted by jayh749

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is killing me/ driving me nuts!!!

So, I tried a PCGS crossover again. I thought "GREAT!" they are moving on my submission so fast. Recieved, first day. Scedualled for grading on the second day. YAAA! Third day, quality control. WOW! this is great! Fourth day......#@!!??. What went wrong? "did not cross". I almost lost my mind. How? Why? I mean, I did everything right, didn't I? I left the min. grade open so that they could grade it to what they wanted. I couldn't hold back, I wrote a letter to them, asking how, why, what did I do wrong? The response was weird. They said that since I left the space empty, they take it as the min. grade is the grade of the coin. Last time I placed the min. grade as the grade on the coin. They sent it back then "did not cross". DID NOT CRRROSS? Im goin nuts. How in the world do I submit these coins, before I have an anerism? Any info. from anybody to help me. These coins are Canadian silver PL dollars graded by PCGS. HEEELLP!

See more journals by jayh749

Hi jay....been a while. Anyhow, I think from what you have said that there is no inconsistency--just some bad luck.

1. If you leave the min grade blank then PCGS and NGC will only cross over at the same grade or above. If they feel that the slab grade is higher than their grade they will leave it in the slab.

2. If you enter a minimum grade you will accept and the graders feel that the coin does not meet the minimum grade you stated, then again they will simply leave it in its current slab.

If you wish to cross a coin regardless of the grade it will get ( which could lose you some serious bucks)--then simply put PL60 or MS60--that way if they feel that the coin is uncirculated they will cross it no matter what but that PL65 may end up in a PL63 holder---

hope this helps.....

When I submitted mine for cross over I put "any" in that box and they all crossed over albeit mostly lower, but in this instance, for various reasons, I didn't care. I feel for you because I know it gets rather expensive to jump through all those hoops and yet miss a hoop. What I can tell you about the "did not cross" is that none of your coins would have crossed at an equal or higher grade which means you will have to decide whether you want to send them back to be crossed at a lower grade. I hope this helps.

Gary

Jay, As Gary stated you will need to select ANY in order for PL's, FBL's, FT's, and so on. NGC is a bit tougher in the subjective overall on grading and the PCGS coins may not cross even at a lower grade. I have gotten a couple PL's but far less than I anticipated. Not enough frost, and she won't cross!!

Rick

Hi again Jay!

I'm glad to hear from you again, but I am also sorry that you're still having problems with those PCGS coins. But the advice given here is the best. Just make sure that you'll accept any grade from NGC on these coins, and they'll cross. Then, you'll never have to worry about them again because you'll have the best!

This is why I only buy NGC graded coins anymore. I only got about 50% to cross at even grade when I submitted and then I took that same PCGS coin that wouldn't cross over to NGC at the same grade and sold it on ebay.

Part of me felt pretty bad because I am very comfortable with the way NGC grades, so if that is the case I sold a coin that I really thought was a grade lower than it stated on the PCGS holder to some other collector.

I know all about "caveat emptor", and if the buyer felt comfortable about purchasing the PCGS coin I should be fine with that but it sure made me stop buying PCGS graded coins!

So much for buying the coin and not the slab!

If any of these third party grading companies cared the least bit about any of their customers, they would use the phone number that we provide to clarify any issues. I'll bet the second your credit card didn't process that they would be right on the phone with you like an eager beaver. I'm sorry, but that goes for both of the big companies. One thing they love more than anything is having you pay to resubmit your coins as often as you can.