• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1890 S Morgan Dollar

15 posts in this topic

Took the afternoon off of work and swung by the local shop and saw this in the display case. I recently sold off most of my raw Morgan collection so I had no reason to buy this other than it looked nice. What are your thoughts on the grade?

1890-S-Morgan-Dollar---OBV_zps9ce8474e.jpg

1890-S-Morgan-Dollar---REV_zpsd4511328.jpg

MS 64 and nice images.

Edited to add: If the coin was graded subsequent to the introduction of "+" grading, I"ll change my guess to MS 64+.

Thanks for the comments and input.

Mark, the coin has yet to be graded but I'll definitely report back when it does.

BTW, I too feel like the coin is a 64. I am a little concerned though as it has a similar look on the OBV to a coin sent back from NGC not encapsulated-RESIDUE. I will probably send it to NCS along with the previous one.

Thanks for the comments and input.

Mark, the coin has yet to be graded but I'll definitely report back when it does.

BTW, I too feel like the coin is a 64. I am a little concerned though as it has a similar look on the OBV to a coin sent back from NGC not encapsulated-RESIDUE. I will probably send it to NCS along with the previous one.

Drew, are you able to post an image of the other coin? I don't see anything on this one which would warrant a trip to NCS.

Thanks. I don't see the "residue".

Regarding the 1880... There is a slight haze on the coin. I'm sure the coin will look nicer once NCS removes it but I didn't think it would prevent the coin from being graded.

I purchased this coin 10 years ago and it was in an ACG holder the whole time. Those holders are supposed to be PVC free so the "residue" must have been there prior to that. I just cracked it out before sending to NGC.

MS67

Woah. Time to recalibrate your grading machine. This one looks like a 64.

Hahaha! It was making light in reference to recent events. I figured I would just say MS 67 on all coins then I would not be surprised.