• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the 1912-S images are "true", then I don't like the "plus" or the "sticker"

9 posts in this topic

That "rub" looking stuff may be surface toning that the pics don't pick up well, with gorgeous underlying luster that the pics don't pick up either. The pics are not that great, but that doesn't mean the coin is. Will be interested to hear what you find when you view it in hand.

The 1912-S Liberty nickel is a special case. The planchets were washed with some sort of a solution that caused the coins to tone to a color that is predominately light brown and tan with some dark blue. As a result it is almost impossible to find an ORIGINAL piece that has the typical brilliant white luster that you find on the very high grade Philadelphia mint Liberty nickels. I believe that the Mint State 1912-D nickels have this toning issue too.

I believe that the coin shown here has probably been dipped or had something done to it to make it as white as possible. Whatever was done was not done as well as it could have been, or maybe this was the best could have been done with this example. I have seen a couple of white Mint State 1912-S nickels, but I think that they probably had had something done to them. I also don't know how stable these "processed coins" are. If they tone again, it could be really ugly.

The bottom line is expect an original surface Mint State 1912-S nickel to be toned and don't expect the toning to be pretty. I don't know that any Mint State 1912-S nickel will have the same color as a Mint State 1912-P nickel. I think that an adjustment in expectations is necessary for of those who are looking to buy a 1912-S.

Just going from the pics, it looks like a solid 65. The strike is average, with slight weakness throughout. The eye appeal is okay - streakiness detracts, but not significantly. It is hard to gauge the luster from these pics (a perennial weakness of Heritage pictures), but it appears to be strong. The marks appear to be minimal (the reverse looks exceptionally clean).

I'd say this is a B coin in the 65 grade - which deserves the CAC sticker (even though I think CAC is pointless) but does not deserve the plus (overall, I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the plus designation - from both parties).

Of course, I will get to see this 1912-S nickel in-hand in a few short weeks, but what do you think of it, going only by the images?

It so happens I am looking for a 1912-S right now....

I do not regard this toning as unattractive for a V nickel, and especially a 1912-S. However, I do not think the surfaces are high-end for MS65, due to the deep ticks and scuffs on the cheek. My impression is that wild luster, if present, might put an otherwise MS64+ coin into a gem holder; but I don't understand how it could be MS65+.

As a 65+ I am not impressed from the images. Perhaps it looks more impressive in hand.

i think the slab photo is more true to what the coin looks like in hand sight seen

either way james please give us your sight seen observations when you get a chance to hold the coin in your hands