• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What may have caused this toning?

19 posts in this topic

I'm not posting this to create another AT vs. NT discussion. I have my own opinion on this one, but I was wondering what you think may have caused the toning. It's proof and tough to get a picture, so I just exposed to direct light to show the toning pattern.

98014444.jpg

15500286.jpg

I have seen colors like that from Capital Plastics holders - with the color coming from the side closest to an air edge.

I was thinking possibly Dansco, but I thought it would be around the entire rim. I don't think I've ever seen a Capital Plastics holder. I'll check em out.

Thanks guys.

Here you go - clad SBAs - the 2 proofs on the corners were probably swapped because good type - notice the colors coming in from the edge?

DSC06155.jpg

DSC06156.jpg

There is a proof quarter holder and a birth year holder - the white holders still in box and ?tracing paper? give that blue on clad coins - not sure if from box or plastic, and don't really care but they can be attractive

$T2eC16FHJHEE9ny2pwWzBROdG)dEK!~~60_57.JPG

...just be careful to distinguish between "toning" (chemical) and contamination (physical such as haze).

Did these come in the cellophane originally or the plastic holders? It sort of looks like that cellophane-like toning. hm

jom

...just be careful to distinguish between "toning" (chemical) and contamination (physical such as haze).

Good point. The patina on many coins is a mixture of toning and residues. Many clad coins that develop color are actually coated with haze that is reacting to the environment to create colors (and often protecting the underlying metal from oxidation).

I once purchased a couple rolls of uncirculated Bicentennial quarters and an old collector had placed cotton balls in the tube and taped the tub shut. Upon opening the roll, I found that several coins displayed irregular toning patterns, and some of them were quite attractive and included blues and even some purple. The coin in direct contact with the cotton toned, but it also appeared that the coin immediately below toned slightly as well. Unfortunately I do not have any images of the coins.

Album toning will produce similar toning too.

That would be pretty good torch work, but I don't see why it can't be a possibility. I would think that a torch would leave some sort of soot though.

Ok, maybe soot is the wrong word. Carbon or anything black left behind from a torch. I realize that can be wiped off, but wouldn't it scratch the coin? I've never torched a coin, so I have no idea :)

It depends on the mixture,if it's to lean it will turn yellow

(not enough oxygen) which would leave soot.Because the methane isn't

completely burned. Mixed correctly it will burn blue,leaving no soot.Much

hotter is the key.