• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry ease of use

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi All,

I'm placing this topic in the U.S. Coin board because I'm looking for answers not only from regular registry users, but also from anyone who tried to use the registry and gave up. I occasionally hear feedback that the registry may be hard to use in some respects. The problem is that this feedback is usually quite non-specific. For the most part it amounts to a single statement that goes something like this:

"I found it hard to use. I tried to do X and couldn't."

Any given system will have those who find it easy to use and those who find it hard. As we all know, some people make maximum use of every gadget around, and others feel much less intuitive about things like that. The goal of any system design, however, is to be easy for everyone to use. So to that end, I'm soliciting specific feedback. Are there things about the registry you find difficult to use? Is there anyone out there that tried to participate in the registry and just gave up?

What kind of specific feedback can you give me?

I do feel that overall, we have a pretty good system. The fact is that every time I sign into the system I can see that more people, more sets, and more coins have signed up. However, that having been said, there is always room for improvement. Amazon.com used to have an internal meeting every day about how they could make their system easier to use (and perhaps they still do). I'm more than willing to look for or hear about areas for improvement.

Thanks,

Arch

Two items come to mind:

1) image size. I know that you increased it once, but a slightly larger size would make adding existing images easier.

2) often times I am looking at my set and want to edit something. I sign on and it automatically jumps me to the society homepage and then I have to navigate back to where I wanted to manage the coin. It's a bother.

I think there's too many buttons to get to the registry to view different sets. I think once you click the registry button on the first page, it should show a list of all the different categories, not a pulldown thingy-ma-bober. Also the color thing. On the registry set list is yellow, and the side margin to the left is also yellow. I find that to be very distracting. TDN's #2 also bothers me to no end. It makes me want to give up on the NGC registry.

• Administrator

"often times I am looking at my set and want to edit something. I sign on and it automatically jumps me to the society homepage and then I have to navigate back to where I wanted to manage the coin. It's a bother."

Try it now. wink.gif

1) Your login should take you to the page you were viewing.

2) The public view of sets should give you an edit button if you're logged in as yourself and you're looking at a set you own.

3) There is now an add button with the set lists to add a set right there.

Arch

• Administrator

In the upper right corner of the set-list blocks (it might just be on the top3 right now) there's an "Add" button to add new sets in that set category.

Arch

I cannot get the pictures to upload. When I tried, I got the following message screen:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Could not allocate space for

object 'tblRegistryTempCoinImages' in database 'CCGCoin' because the

'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.

?

I have uploaded .jpg pictures at many other sites, including the picture function that is available on these boards, so I know that my software is not totally crazy.

Is there anything that I can do?

I seem to be having a problem. For some reason I cannot go directly to the registry. I cannot go through a bookmark or a link. I have to go to the main page and then to the registry. Every time I try to go straight to the registry, it says, "the page can not be found.” Is there any particular reason for this? confused.gif

• Administrator

Send me the URL you are trying to use to go directly to a page.

Have you tried re-bookmarking it?

Hey thanks for getting rid of the society homepage when I want to edit a set.

Could you fix this?

When I want to add a Morgan to my set, like a doofus I keep forgeting and click on:

Coins

Add/Manage coins

Chose dollars from drop down menu

Click add coins to The Registry

Then I get:

"This function has been moved. To add coins to the registry now, you should go to Add/Manage Sets"

Either make it like it was when you could add coins to the Registry without putting them in a set or get rid of the add/manage coins feature all together.

Then after I go through the whole thing again using add/manage sets there are 7 different date groups for the Morgans and if I have a wide range of dates I might have to click "save this set" 5 different times and get "your coins have been batch for processing" 5 different times and then I get 5 emails saying "your coins have been added to the registry," ½ of which say STATUS: Failed and then the other ½ lists my dmpl as PL and why are PCGS coins listed as DPL instead of DMPL?

Why can't I just enter all my coins into a set at 1 time and their designations be right? That would be great!!

I just tried adding my newest NGC coin. I found the same frustration as Dog.

I followed the path to add a coin and was told I was wasting my time as this function has been moved!!! Well it didn't really say I was wasting my time...

Then I went to add/manage sets. I clicked the set catagory, clicked the set I was interested in, clicked the portion of the set I was interested in, clicked add then finally reached a form where I could enter my coin. Woe on me if I wanted to add several coins in different sets!

Finally the message could be much clearer. Because I have experience with ancient computers I do understand what being "batched for processing" probably means. I doubt many people understand that. You could say "Thanks, your entry will be reviewed later, you will get email when these are actually added to your set" or something.

Thanks for asking!

It is pleasing to see so many new additions to the registry. I guess most people have figured it out by now...

I just added my latest Saint yesterday, and I haven't heard anything at all. I also wish there was a way to just add a bunch of coins at once and then let them be added to sets automatically throught the "build best possible set" feature. Why does it take so long to validate? Is it because you allow PCGS coins and they must be done manually? Couldn't you make the NGC coins instant verification like PCGS does?