• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did they change something with True Views???

12 posts in this topic

I just got a recent consignment in the mail and as I set up my auctions I always check the PCGS coins for true views as I like to include them in my auctions along side my own high quality photos. There has been a lot of talk recently about the cartoon look of a lot of true views that make the coins look much more colorful in hand and I have seen some of those myself. In this case the first two coins I looked up were Franklin halves and the true views are so bad they in no way represent the coins as they appear in hand....I mean shockingly bad so I have to wonder if something changed as these appear to be the type of images we commonly see why shot in the holder? Plus the backgrounds are all white with no PCGS logos etc? The coins are housed in new PCGS secure plus holders which would lead me to believe they have been graded in the last few years if not in the last year so I am at a loss to explain this...

I haven't imaged it yet but this frankie is a godzilla coin with full rich neon rainbow mint set toning especially on the reverse.....and yet this image does not convey that at all...

26870656_large.jpg

and this franklin have is pretty much blast white with just a tiny amount of toning but this image makes it look a bit dark and crusty especially on the obverse....

26870669_large.jpg

I will certainly update this thread with my own images...just wanted to see if anyone else has seen similar true views recently hm

What coinman said. Those are not TrueView images. Those are the "Secure Plus" scans (or at least that's what they look like to me).

I'm on my iPad so it's hardto read everything you said but the coins must be housed in the new

Secure Plus as those are not imaged, they are scanned images. The ones that come with Secure Plus. Not Trueviews.

Ok...I have never seen or heard of them...I found these images when doing a cert # search which usually pulls up nothing or true views. Thanks

You must not look up PCGS coins very often then... (shrug)

I have seen dozens of these Secure Plus images. The images that show up on PCGS' site are one of three types:

1) PCGS TrueView images -- the submitter paid for the professional service

2) CoinFacts images -- the submitter didn't pay for the professional service, but PCGS recognized the coin as a superior coin that would make a good example to show in their CoinFacts database. Thus, they took a TrueView quality image, but there is no background text shown.

3) Scanned images -- created at the time of the "SecurePlus" encapsulation, these are usually clearly lower quality, and are not meant to show the coin in its "optimal viewing angle" as are the TrueView and CoinFacts images.

By the way, it's pretty clear which type the images are, when you right click on the image and look at the path where it is stored, it says "SecurePlus" for both of the Franklin Halves you posted.

Ok...I have never seen or heard of them...I found these images when doing a cert # search which usually pulls up nothing or true views. Thanks

I have seen dozens of these Secure Plus images. The images that show up on PCGS' site are one of three types:

2) CoinFacts images -- the submitter didn't pay for the professional service, but PCGS recognized the coin as a superior coin that would make a good example to show in their CoinFacts database. Thus, they took a TrueView quality image, but there is no background text shown.

3) Scanned images -- created at the time of the "SecurePlus" encapsulation, these are usually clearly lower quality, and are not meant to show the coin in its "optimal viewing angle" as are the TrueView and CoinFacts images.

By the way, it's pretty clear which type the images are, when you right click on the image and look at the path where it is stored, it says "SecurePlus" for both of the Franklin Halves you posted.

Excellent explanation.

I look up hundreds of coins a month...these are the first images like this I have seen.....looking at the path that says secure plus would have done me no good because I was not aware there were secure plus images and trueviews...this is the first I have heard of such a things. It would seem to be a really stupid thing on PCGS part as the quality is total mess but then again I know that the images that come up with the NGC cert are totally mess too (thumbs u

I look up hundreds of coins a month...these are the first images like this I have seen.....looking at the path that says secure plus would have done me no good because I was not aware there were secure plus images and trueviews...this is the first I have heard of such a things. It would seem to be a really stupid thing on PCGS part as the quality is total mess but then again I know that the images that come up with the NGC cert are totally mess too (thumbs u

Those images are usually only temporary until they do either the TrueView or CoinFact photo.

Those images are usually only temporary until they do either the TrueView or CoinFact photo.

Very informative thread....learned something new....

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's completely contrary to what I've observed for multiple coins on the PCGS cert lookup site. The point of the SecurePlus images is the basis for the PCGS "coin fingerprint" that is used to compare against in the case that a coin is submitted raw that was reported as stolen, or if a coin is submitted as raw in hopes of an upgrade through the same Secure Plus service.

IF either a TrueView image or a CoinFacts image is also available, then those two types of images are preferentially shown when you look up a coin, but the SecurePlus images are still there if the coin was graded in that tier. For example, look at this coin. I recently sold this coin, and the person who I had purchased it from paid for both the TrueView images, and the SecurePlus grading tier. Notice that there is a link under the TrueView small image that says "Additional Image: PCGS Secure". If you click that, you will get the PCGS SecurePlus fingerprint scanned image.

I understand that both of you (i.e., Shane and Bob) are usually looking up wildly toned coins on the PCGS website, and those are often either preferentially imaged for the CoinFacts database by PCGS at no charge to the submitter, or the owner themself pays for a TrueView image. If a coin also is slabbed using the PCGS SecurePlus tier, the SecurePlus image will always still show up in the Cert look-up (that is, they are NOT temporary).

I mean, you can't seriously think that PCGS either TrueViews or CoinFacts images (i.e., professionally images) all coins that they grade in the SecurePlus tier? And, just for the records, there are oodles of examples where for a coin looked up in the PCGS system has more than one type of photo present. I can't find a link, but I swear I even saw one once that had all three types of images available. The majority of my world coins that have been graded (ones that are not toned) have only the crummy scanned SecurePlus image. It just depends.

If you're not sure which image you are looking at, you can right click on the image, and select "View Image". You will then notice in your web path window that it is stored/organized in one of three locations:

images.pcgs.com/TrueView/

images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/

images.pcgs.com/SecurePlus/

I hope this helps to clarify,

-Brandon

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's completely contrary to what I've observed for multiple coins on the PCGS cert lookup site. The point of the SecurePlus images is the basis for the PCGS "coin fingerprint" that is used to compare against in the case that a coin is submitted raw that was reported as stolen, or if a coin is submitted as raw in hopes of an upgrade through the same Secure Plus service.

IF either a TrueView image or a CoinFacts image is also available, then those two types of images are preferentially shown when you look up a coin, but the SecurePlus images are still there if the coin was graded in that tier. For example, look at this coin. I recently sold this coin, and the person who I had purchased it from paid for both the TrueView images, and the SecurePlus grading tier. Notice that there is a link under the TrueView small image that says "Additional Image: PCGS Secure". If you click that, you will get the PCGS SecurePlus fingerprint scanned image.

I understand that both of you (i.e., Shane and Bob) are usually looking up wildly toned coins on the PCGS website, and those are often either preferentially imaged for the CoinFacts database by PCGS at no charge to the submitter, or the owner themself pays for a TrueView image. If a coin also is slabbed using the PCGS SecurePlus tier, the SecurePlus image will always still show up in the Cert look-up (that is, they are NOT temporary).

I mean, you can't seriously think that PCGS either TrueViews or CoinFacts images (i.e., professionally images) all coins that they grade in the SecurePlus tier? And, just for the records, there are oodles of examples where for a coin looked up in the PCGS system has more than one type of photo present. I can't find a link, but I swear I even saw one once that had all three types of images available. The majority of my world coins that have been graded (ones that are not toned) have only the crummy scanned SecurePlus image. It just depends.

If you're not sure which image you are looking at, you can right click on the image, and select "View Image". You will then notice in your web path window that it is stored/organized in one of three locations:

images.pcgs.com/TrueView/

images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/

images.pcgs.com/SecurePlus/

I hope this helps to clarify,

-Brandon

I must be talking about my own coins then. I've seen it happen dozens of times, many with coins that I have not had TrueViews made.

Sorry if I have misled anyone.