• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT? (que rolling eyes)

31 posts in this topic

I'm trying to start a set of toned SBAs.

Trying to find colorful versions of what is considered by many as one of the ugliest coins ever minted seems like a fun project.

I recently picked up these 2 sets with the slight tint of color from the sellers pics. My question to you is, AT or NT? Your thoughts on whether or not you think they will slab.

Seller's Picture:

Picture2-7_zps02260f91.png

In hand:

DSC_0243_zps221fd3ef.jpg

DSC_0282_zps212cd9da.jpg

DSC_0265_zpsb80a744a.jpg

Seller's Picture:

KGrHqJHJBIFEqWL9uBRLSJ9OPO60_12_zpsa7d111f9.jpg

In hand:

DSC_0286_zpsc3b233d2.jpg

DSC_0290_zps74ead7d5.jpg

NT. The 79 was definitely in a Dansco holder (I'm 99% sure in fact). The other one probably the same.

jom

How much will be spent to "grade" a $1 coin? Ridiculous.

I certainly agree with this. If I had these I'd put them back in the Dansco....especially the 99 to tone up some more!

jom

You may be the person who motivates ATers to first get started on the SBAs. As for slabbing, why pay to get them individually slabbed, instead of displaying them in large groupings, where they can be relatively very attractive en masse, and with comparisons made easier? And I never thought the SBA was a particularly ugly coin, especially if one judges partly on the basis of the appearance of the individual pictured, because for example in my opinion many of the coin portraits of the older dowdy Elizabeth II are far less attractive.

I certainly agree with this. If I had these I'd put them back in the Dansco....especially the 99 to tone up some more!

jom

I know, pricey, and I'm not going to for sure do it, but I don't want them to get dark on me since I like them as they are. And I know that encapsulation doesn't guarantee climate control, so it is just an idea .....also, I've seen a half cent encapsulated. NOW THAT is ridiculous.

Joking, of course

I have a 79-S and a 99-P similar to the ones you have shown. Both are slabbed by PCGS.

Interpret the TrueViews with a grain of salt. :eyeroll:

24200064_Large.jpg

25100670_Large.jpg

Both of yours I missed out on bidding! I fell asleep at the wheel when they were both on eBay at the same time(if I remember them correctly). They look great! But not so much in hand??

You miss the point. He wants to know is it's NT or AT. If he doesn't submit it, how is he going to know? Think of it as money well-spent on an education. Why do people spend money on colleges and universities? It's the same thing. In this case, there are signs. But the student has to be knowledgable in disciplines such as chemistry and metallurgy and forensics just to name a few and have at least a rudimentary understanding of color-patterns both natural and artificial to see them. Otherwise, it's just a wild guess, based on what appeals to him, personally. And that's no way to collect coins!

Both of yours I missed out on bidding! I fell asleep at the wheel when they were both on eBay at the same time(if I remember them correctly). They look great! But not so much in hand??

Oh no, they are both beautiful coins in hand. But, as with most TrueViews, they don't look like that in hand except for about a 3 degree angle window of viewing. ;)

Whether they are AT or NT doesnt matter at this point with NGC.

They arent MA and they probably wont slab with our hosts. I have had three toned SBAs with identical toning get rejected by NGC. They are being especially difficult on modern toned coins - even those with what I call "Dansco" toning.

I hate to say it but PCGS might be the way to go with moderns. I see a lot of toned moderns in PCGS plastic and very few in NGC holders...

another example of such -> toned ASEs - PCGS will grade these and NGC will not (anymore).

I'm trying to start a set of toned SBAs.

Trying to find colorful versions of what is considered by many as one of the ugliest coins ever minted seems like a fun project.

I recently picked up these 2 sets with the slight tint of color from the sellers pics. My question to you is, AT or NT? Your thoughts on whether or not you think they will slab.

Seller's Picture:

Picture2-7_zps02260f91.png

In hand:

DSC_0243_zps221fd3ef.jpg

DSC_0282_zps212cd9da.jpg

DSC_0265_zpsb80a744a.jpg

[

This type of toning is sometimes found on late-'70s and early '80s clad coinage from albums and mint sets. This is an NGC MS66 we have right now:

1980Do12201_zps31c2ab87.jpg

1980Dr12201a_zps5829bd51.jpg

They arent MA and they probably wont slab with our hosts. I have had three toned SBAs with identical toning get rejected by NGC. They are being especially difficult on modern toned coins - even those with what I call "Dansco" toning.

Good point there...that's something I didn't know. That being said our hosts are out of their minds if they think those aren't MA...which really is saying they think they are AT....

50c-82p.jpg

50c-82p_A.jpg

50c-83p.jpg

50c-83_A.jpg

50c-84d.jpg

50c-86d.jpg

...they are NUTS. lol

jom

NT. The 79 was definitely in a Dansco holder (I'm 99% sure in fact). The other one probably the same.

jom

What makes you so 99% sure these coins have not been in that holder for 30 years?

For buying on eBay, a rule I follow is whether the seller mentions and makes a big deal about it (and is asking about 3x what it is worth), then I am more skeptical.

Since TPGs have no history either, they make the decision on whether it is market acceptable (to them). Some of this has to do with 'depth' of toning which is evaluated in hand (can not really tell if colors are floating from pics).

Keeping cool collections like you are making are nice kept raw, unless you want to show them off in a registry set or sell.

jom

What makes you so 99% sure these coins have not been in that holder for 30 years?

For buying on eBay, a rule I follow is whether the seller mentions and makes a big deal about it (and is asking about 3x what it is worth), then I am more skeptical.

So if a seller mentions toning or describes the color of his coins (as though color were an important factor to coin collectors), then you will question the toning? (shrug) A better strategy might be to evaluate the toning itself.

It can be very hard to price a monster toner, and 3x the usual price is a low estimate.

Thanks everyone for looking. I'm really excited about what I might find in this short, modern series.

I also have these on their way:

What do you think they'll look like in hand? ....paid a bit for these though as compared to the others I already showed

26j3_zps2f3c4841.jpg

26j2_zps91dee619.jpg

It just looks like Dansco toning on the 79....that's all. It would be less likely (IMO) those other holders shown in the OP give off the same toning as a Dansco. But then again...who knows?

Regardless, I don't think the coins are AT. Whether they are MA is for the market to decided (or the TPGs I guess).

jom

Thanks everyone for looking. I'm really excited about what I might find in this short, modern series.

I also have these on their way:

What do you think they'll look like in hand? ....paid a bit for these though as compared to the others I already showed

26j3_zps2f3c4841.jpg

26j2_zps91dee619.jpg

To state the obvious: These are Dansco toned as well. :insane:

lol

jom

So if a seller mentions toning or describes the color of his coins (as though color were an important factor to coin collectors), then you will question the toning? (shrug) A better strategy might be to evaluate the toning itself.

It can be very hard to price a monster toner, and 3x the usual price is a low estimate.

monster moderns? please post

The Dansco page coins will probably look very nice as slides frequently cover some nice hues.

The Dansco page coins will probably look very nice as slides frequently cover some nice hues.

I thought this article was interesting

Link

Thank you BTW. I'll post my amateur pics when it arrives if they're any good.

I thought this article was interesting

Link

Thank you BTW. I'll post my amateur pics when it arrives if they're any good.

Ha!!! This is side splitting hilarious . That is my coin, I purchased it from a member. Itwas in the original mint packaging. The only other slabbed toned one on CoinFacts was mine and I sold

it to a member ATS. Your coins are natural as I stated but I would search for a very cool toned proof if you want ancient example. Unless the Dansco proves to contain a nicely toned higher grade toner.

I will post my toned SBA proofs I sold a few years back.......if I can find the image :)

I thought there were a number of monster toners posted in this thread, including my 1980-D quarter. ???