• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDO or Machine Doubling?

10 posts in this topic

It's hard for me to tell because my vision ain't what it used to be, but I think I see some split serifs.

Chris

Me too...I am inclined to call that one a true Double Die...

At first glance it does look like MDD but the top left serif's of LI both uprights of the U and end of the right pendent of the T in LITU all appear to be split. So I would say it is a DDO.

Hey Brol, It's definitely a Double Die. I went through a lot of research when I found a 1968 Kennedy Half in my collection that had Doubling. There's a great website all about Doubling at doubleddie.com

A Mechanical doubling is when the collar that holds the coin in place is loose and the coin moves slightly making what appears to be a Double Die. A Mechanical Doubled coin looks more like an etching of the letter to one side of the other letter. I may of not explained it well but if you follow the link it will explain the difference and show Pictures of the two much better. I hope this helps.