• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC 'AND' PCGS ?

31 posts in this topic

Just a few noob questions...

Why does the NGC site / registry accept PCGS graded coins?

Whos grading do you 'respect' more as being the true grade more often?

Do you collect both companies?

Because they aren't paranoid.

Rather than get into this debate which has been discussed over and over, let's just say that I have more respect for the staff at NGC.

Yes, because the coin is more important than the slab.

Chris

B/c NGC realizes that it is better for the collector and for them to include both major services' selections.

I respect them both

Yes, I collect both of them.

Rather than get into this debate which has been discussed over and over, let's just say that I have more respect for the staff at NGC.

Chris

wasn't posted to start a debate...just a curious question

Chris

wasn't posted to start a debate...just a curious question

That may very well be true, but it is likely to start one. lol!

Chris

They don't have their nose in the air the way PCGS does. It actually makes for a more representative selection, because contrary to popular opinion, not all of the great coins are in PCGS holders.

My own grade, I'm not saying that as a smart "donkey." The grades on the slabs are not right 100% of the time. That goes for all grading services. You need to learn to grade if you are going to become a great collector or dealer.

Yep. Just look at my type sets.

didn't NGC start moving away from that for world sets?

Yes, they did! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they stopped allowing PCGS slabs for world coins because there were too many differences between the NGC & PCGS attributions.

Chris

1) I think NGC let's PCGS coins into their registry to encourage participation. NGC and PCGS have different standards for different series with in different grades. I fully understand why PCGS doesn't allow for it.

2) think both companies do a decent job. PCGS has the reputation for the tougher standards over time

3) yes

MJ

1. The PCGS registry was started first. Likely in order to be competitive, NGC made the decision to include PCGS coins, and I think it was a good move.

2. Grading is an opinion, and the market values both. Each company has a slightly different standard.

3. I purchase coins graded by both companies.

Nothing wrong with ANACS, either.

Until you try to sell them

MJ

I agree with what the others have said about encouraging participation; PCGS started their registry first and it became immensely popular. Allowing coins from both services was a strategic registry marketing decision in my opinion, and one that I think was wise.

It depends on the series. There are some series where NGC is tougher and there are others where PCGS in tougher in terms of grading. With regards to designations, I especially think that NGC is tougher on the FS (Jefferson Nickels), FBL (Franklin Half Dollars), and FT (Full Torch) designations and they are more stringent than the PCGS definition for the aforesaid series. PCGS is much stricter in my opinion in modern series and some higher graded materials. I like and respect both companies, but realize that the standards are different and vary among series.

Yes. I collect coins, not plastic. I'll buy coins certified by other companies as well as long as the price is fair and the coin is "all there."

See above.

=> NGC seems to cater to a wider spectrum of collectors than does PCGS. That doesn't make them "better" than PCGS (or "worse"), but just different. Personally, if I cared about registry issues, then I would definitely prefer NGC's perspective.

=> Contrary to the nonsensical claims you'll see all over the place, in the overall scheme of things, out of millions upon millions of coins, neither company really grades "better" than the other. I have long thought it absurd to prefer PCGS over NGC, or NGC over PCGS, due to some mythical superiority of either company's grading standard. Both have strengths and weaknesses that average out to a wash, in my experience.

=> Nope, I don't collect either company --i collect coins. Some of my coins (about 400 actually) just happen to be in slabs.

more collectors can participate as some really special coins :cloud9: in most collectors collections are in both ngc and pcgs slabs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dont respect any slab factory and their subjective grading opinions; BUT i do respect their starting opinion with the coin in a sonically sealed holder and their subjective guarantees

and then i make MY OWN judgment as to grade and other considerations and usually this has more often than not done me really well overall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO :shy::hi: i dont collect plastic sonically sealed slabs with coins in them i only collect coins that meet my approval be it in a slab or not

welcome to the boards and good luck in your collecting parameters (thumbs u

oh and as a side note after i posted the above i read james early us REPLY above my oRiginal post

and I TOTALLY AGREE 100% WELL SAID ..................................... :makepoint:

The OP asks which company's opinion is respected as the "true grade?"

This might be a shock, but coins don't actually have a grade. They have a given mass, diameter, and composition. Think about it. What is printed on the label is just an opinion. Grading standards wander around quite a bit from year to year.

Most people in the hobby (and bascially all of the third-party graders) use a modified form of the Sheldon scale to describe a coin. This is not universally accepted (EAC guys, darkside, ancients). Nobody is "right". Nobody makes the rules.

I respect both PCGS and NGC as they back up their opinion with more than just words. Both employ incredibly skilled graders and both perform a tremendously valuable service to the hobby/industry. You can look at auction results for the coins that interest you, and you can form your own opinions about what the market thinks. Personally, I think a little competition keeps each company on its toes and elevates the quality of service for everyone.

Do I collect both slabs? Most of my collection is raw, a few pieces will be sent in for grading soon. I have purchased coins in both holders at different times. Right now, all of my slabbed coins are of one flavor, for purposes that seem reasonable to me at present.

MJ

I have actually made decent profits on the old ANACS small holdered coins, and I have seen more than a few cross at grade with PCGS. Perhaps my experience differs (and I am just cherry picking coins).

The OP asks which company's opinion is respected as the "true grade?"

This might be a shock, but coins don't actually have a grade. They have a given mass, diameter, and composition. Think about it. What is printed on the label is just an opinion. Grading standards wander around quite a bit from year to year.

Superb post (thumbs u ! The whole myth of "grade" has been hammered home with so much hype and propaganda and marketing verbiage over the years that unfortunately, most collectors seem to buy into the notion that somehow, there's a definitive "grade" for everything. The whole underlying realization that a grade is subjective is sadly lost on most folks anymore.

Ive been collecting since I was a kid in the 70's (i'll be 43 this year) and just this past year have I started back into collecting with a focus. I collect pre 1980 baseball cards but only if they are graded for 1 basic reason, if its shaved to be in better condition, or counterfeit (tobacco cards are easily done).

So, the reason I ask is Im not good at seeing if a coin is 'improperly cleaned' or other grading aspects yet.

Plus I think I'm in the minority here but I like them encapsulated so I can take them out and look at them and see what its graded by NGC and see what makes it that grade (according to them).

All but 2 of my graded coins are NGC, the other 2 are PCGS silver eagles with the Morgantti signatures (which I really like a lot).

I'm on a shoe string budget as I'm disabled now so lower grades are what I can afford to obtain the coin.

Just a bit of info to why I even asked the questions in the OP

MJ

I have actually made decent profits on the old ANACS small holdered coins, and I have seen more than a few cross at grade with PCGS. Perhaps my experience differs (and I am just cherry picking coins).

Small holders may be different. I was referring to the last decade plus and the 99% of ANACs holders that are out there. Sure there are some properly graded coins out there but there is a negative stigmatism towards non small slab ANAC's holders. Expect to pay less and expect to receive less.

MJ

MJ

Small holders may be different. I was referring to the last decade plus and the 99% of ANACs holders that are out there. Sure there are some properly graded coins out there but there is a negative stigmatism towards non small slab ANAC's holders. Expect to pay less and expect to receive less.

MJ

The small holder ANACS coins have a better reputation among some collectors. When I was a dealer I had a number of coins in the ANACS small holders that were as good or better than some (or a couple cases a lot better because they were under graded IMO) as the coins in the "big two." When ANACS changed hands, the brand name went through a difficult period.

I happen to have both NGC and PCGS, but I collect the coins inside the plastic just happens to protect the coins from my own stupid hands.

lol

MJ

Envoking a discussion of "ANACS" slabs covers a much wider range of product and quality variation that does one about "the old ANACS small holdered coins."

I like NGC a little better. PCGS is great too, but I like that NGC is endorsed by the ANA. I always read that PCGS is tougher in grading, but I think you have to take it case by case, coin by coin. Sometimes it's not the case, but the other way around. It really depends. I started out liking ICG and ANACs, but now i'm stuck with NGC and PCGS. I like the online registry and the fact that everyone has more esteem for these two

Probably they paid. But ANA is getting something out of it: members can submit coins to NGC. In any case, a grading company has to be credible if it has the ANA's backing.