• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enthusiasm is Up!!!

10 posts in this topic

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty enthused with the new type set. Sure, there are a few comparitive weights that need to be fixed, but just the ability to have a type set with both major certified holders and that is weighted proportionate to true value is stirring my collector passions! laugh.gif

No - that's not the same as EVP's famous reaction. wink.gif

My enthusiasm is not up. In fact, I think it is kind of down. I fail to understand all the back-n-forth about the weights and the proof-inclusion issue.

I honestly don't care at all if NGC gets the weighting done perfectly. Isn't the main purpose of this really as a friendly competition, with all of us having fun? So what if it ain't perfect?!? As many have said, I'm sure we'll tweak here and there from time to time.

As for the whether to include proofs in type sets... Well, I don't see the argument for exclusion. That they're of differing production formats is not a great argument, IMO. To me, what matters is that a proof is a nice enough coin for people to want to collect. As such, they should be included. In fact, most people do have proofs in their type sets. (Yes, I do!) A type set is first and foremost about design differences. Proof vs biz strikes has nothing to do with design. If the registry software can easily and properly accomodate proofs and regular circulation strikes in a common type set, then I strongly feel that we should. And, I think all duly authorized issued Mint issues (proofs and otherwise) should be included. For example, older Bust coinage had duly authorized proof issues. They should be included. This includes the Type 1 1804 dollars. This includes the 1838-O half. And, this includes the 1796 25c specimen strike. These are legit pieces, so we should include them. I can never afford them, so I won't care if you dampen their points by a lot... smile.gif But, I really do feel that we should allow them.

EVP

I fail to understand all the back-n-forth about the weights and the proof-inclusion issue.

While most of us subscribe to the theory of "we're here to have fun" (I'm one of them), there are others who may want to remain competitive and are doing it for a place on a front page.

I believe that the more accurate and inclusive a registry program is, the more registrants it will attract, improving the program, but also providing more knowledge here on the boards as well.

I sure hope this place doesn't get like the PCGS forum where everyone is overly concerned about their ranking, the weighting, and being #1. I don't know why some people care that much. Is their life so pathetic and empty that being #1 has this much meaning? Wanting to have the finest set is one thing. However, doing it so you can be ranked #1 on some contrived coin set is kind of sad.

My only comment on the new Type Registry values is that the values should be a fair representation of real life value. This value should be relative to both the Type Set and the Denomination Set. I also realize that this will take some time.

As for myself, I am spread way too thin. I need to dump some older Registry Sets and concentrate on Peace Dollars, Type Sets and Gold. The other sets are either completed or they are a distraction. The only completed sets that I have any interest in are: Type Sets, Gold and Peace Dollars. Peace Dollars are a lifelong quest. tongue.gif

Once my set reaches the #1 spot then I'lll afford myself the luxury of feeling like Greg.

But, until then- let us not forget part of the charm of the Registries is the COMPETITION!

well i see that proofs have been added to the type sets ......as stated ....the weighting system will keep most problems with the points to a minimum....the "system" ( like this counrty ) isnt perfect ....but it is the best there is......we all can find a fault here or there but in the scheme of things it works

gregg bingham

ps...tdn....your 20 cent piece is to die for....i am jealous.....WOW!!!!!