• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Binion Toned Peace Dollars

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone come across any toned Peace Dollars from the famous Binion hoard? I came across a decent rainbow toned specimen the other day, and it is the first I have seen with this pedigree despite the fact that thousands of silver dollars were stored in canvass bags underground. If you have them or know of any, please post them.

Pictures of my new coin are forthcoming...

Yes I bought it. The seller inadvertently relisted it within 48 hours of the close of the previous auction. As soon as I called his intention to it, the listing was removed. There was nothing nefarious going on there.

Edited to add: It's kind of pricey and nothing ultra special, but I still like it.

I too was surprised to see a binion with rainbows on it. That is strong money but I like it as well.

Easier to find again than I thought it would be

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=314&lotNo=7616

Thanks; some how I overlooked that one. Interestingly, around the same time of that sale, there were two others including a 63*, which based on the description, it sounds similar to mine (there is no image for some reason).

I have been trying to get an understanding of the number of toned Peace Binions as well as the census for * examples for years...

Good luck. NGC doesn't have them separated out from the rest of them.

I wouldn't mind doing some informal polling though...

Has anyone come across any toned Peace Dollars from the famous Binion hoard? I came across a decent rainbow toned specimen the other day, and it is the first I have seen with this pedigree despite the fact that thousands of silver dollars were stored in canvass bags underground.

I own no Binion coins, but have cataloged more than enough to report that a high percentage of them are toned. Unfortunately, Binion toning is usually thick and rather ugly.

There are some nicer ones, but they are the exception, for sure.

Has anyone come across any toned Peace Dollars from the famous Binion hoard? I came across a decent rainbow toned specimen the other day, and it is the first I have seen with this pedigree despite the fact that thousands of silver dollars were stored in canvass bags underground.

I own no Binion coins, but have cataloged more than enough to report that a high percentage of them are toned. Unfortunately, Binion toning is usually thick and rather ugly.

Ill have to take a better picture of my 1886 MS66* Binion.. might be an exception...

Here is the pic I have on file.

1886BinionObverse.jpg

There was a pair of binion dollars at our local show.

One was a genuine morgan with thick black toning as well as a blast white peace.

However there was an old gentleman who sold a couple toned peace in old Kraft envelopes. Nice pastel colors on them. Not a bad bunch, but I'm not a fan of toned peace, they're rarely similar to Morgan toning patterns.

Are you talking about Binion Morgans or Peace $ ?

Are you talking about Binion Morgans or Peace $ ?

Peace dollars. But the proportion of unattractive Binion Morgans is higher than one might expect, again in my personal experience.

Peace dollars. But the proportion of unattractive Binion Morgans is higher than one might expect, again in my personal experience.

I have only see several colorfully toned Binion Peace $ in more then 10+ yrs of looking... How many would you say that you have cataloged ?

Im just trying to get a population estimate on these coins...

I have only see several colorfully toned Binion Peace $ in more then 10+ yrs of looking... How many would you say that you have cataloged ?

Im just trying to get a population estimate on these coins...

This one was on ebay a couple of weeks ago, didnt last long though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230905566730

several months ago, maybe almost year ago there was a reverse mounted MS64* binion peace that was amazing. seller wanted $900 for it, havent seen it since, i sent offer of 600 was was pretty high but he wouldnt do it :(