• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on this Steel Wheatie

16 posts in this topic

MS66. While I see die polish lines, I do not see anything that would make me believe that this coin is a proof-like.
I know what the images are saying, they're saying the same to me but, I don't believe Jason would actually go out there and seek out a $50 coin!

MS66, I don't see anything too special about the coin.

At least just judging from the pictures provided, I don't see even remotely enough proof-like glassy effect in the fields to merit a PL designation. Seeing die polish lines is not uncommon on steel cents, especially at the level of magnification of the presented images.

I will go out on a limb and say that I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the coin in an MS67 holder. There are no overly distracting marks, and it seems to have escaped the nasty spotting that plagues so many of these cents. The only thing I can't tell for sure is what is going on with the rim on the reverse at 6 o'clock. It seems to have a nasty hit in the pictures, but it could just be the way the image is cropped.

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up the PL population for Wheat Cents. It turns out that the only wheat cents graded with PL designation are 9 coins dated 1943-S. With that being said, and given your history and love for PL coins, I guess this one probably does have the PL designation. But, if those images are accurate, I don't think it should. (shrug)

Small coin, large image, so the hits on the coin probably look larger than they actually are. Polishing lines give it that PL appearance, but I'm pretty sure it's not PL. I feel this one is a MS67, all day long

Good guesses on this everyone. PCGS graded it MS-67.

The prooflike Wheatie is very hard to find - although there are 9 graded, I've never seen one. When I found this one, I figured I'd buy it as a placeholder. The obverse is prooflike - the mirrors are not deep, but they are noticeable. The reverse is holding this one back, however. The reverse is lustrous, a normal business strike for the most part (perhaps with patches of minor semi-prooflike-ness). With some of these rare PL types, I've decided that I'm going to buy ones that are semi-PL as placeholders, and then upgrade later if I can.

It is an attractive coin, and is a solid 67.

Don't men to hijack but since y'all are on the subject of 43 wheat pennies is there anything special about this one or is it just a clean 43?

DSCN0541.JPG

DSCN0542.JPG

DSCN0543.JPG

DSCN0545.JPG

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0558.JPG

DSCN0559.JPG

I don't know much about what a PL Steel Wheat Penny would look like. I would imagine this is just a higher grade penny. What do y'all think?

Reprocessed? I am curious to know what that term means as it relates to coins?

Cleaned and dipped or something like that?