• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gold closed today wed. 1/22/03 $360.10 on the comex what will you do??

19 posts in this topic

are you happy sad about this fact?

do you think gold will rise more and then stay where it is?

what will it do for the coin hobby?

are you thinking of buying gold and if so in what form??

bullion? commom certified generic gold?

or a rare gold coin?

what do you think gold will be by feb?? by the end of 2003??

sincerely michael

very happy and delighted...waiting for it to hit $400, then sell half of my gold bullion holdings (pandas and maple leafs), then sell the remainder when it hits $500...go gold!!

There are a lot of supply/demand factors that could push the price a lot higher, but I am not sure it will be as fast as us coin collectors would like. I think it could eventually challenge the old highs, but probably not for a few years. The weak dollar is helping too, remember with the 22% up move in the Euro against the dollar, the Euro price of gold is only up 6% or so, just to give you some perspective on how the inverse relationship between gold and the dollar really works! I got spoiled buying at sub $270, so I am not buying as much anymore, mainly now buying rarer gold.

PS-I am happy since I own quite a bit. Also spot gold has already broken $363 in Asian trading this evening.

wow great replys

myself i do not think that there will be a war with iraq i think that maybe something will be worked out where saddam and some of his higher ups will be offered maybe some sort of deal

also the reason why the usa kept him in when they sohlud have gone after him in the gulf war as since he may be crazy he is ruled by money and the usa govt can control someone like that as they thought that maybe another form of government in iraq eould have been worse?

but be that as it may i do not think we will go to war

but i guess only time will tell

sincerely michael

as usually this world thing with humans it is omnly about one thing money and power and i think the powers that be will be better off without a war and saddam i think would rather go for the money and work something out with the powers that be!

as long as he can survive and get his cake so to speak

maybe he might move next to edi amin dada in jaffa saudi arabia?? the former leader of uganda

but again i guess only time will tell

sincerely michael

I'm kind of bummed out that gold is increasing mainly because I only have about 7 ounces of it and do not desire to sell. I want the 2003 gold eagles because of the satin finish. I see no real advantage to buying them graded so I'll eventually just buy them raw. Of course, I'll get the proof coins when they come out later in the year. Does anyone know if they will have the new finish. Seems that it would be a little odd for a proof coin.

I saw the 2003 coins on the "Coin Vault" on the home shopping network. It has a rough, satin finish. The first of its kind. It is truly a beautiful coin.

Heh heh, one person's satin is another's matte.

The Coin Vault guy actually refers to the 2003 Gold Eagle coins as having a sand blasted, matte finish. The matte effect encompasses the entire surface including both field and device. He claims the finish is applied to the planchets (as opposed to added during the striking process, as in the cameo devices of proof coins).

He refers to the 2002 and prior year coins as having satin finishes. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with that fellow, but he's amusing to watch when he does the 45 years of proof sets monologue.

Terminology notwithstanding, the 2003 coins do look nice.

As long as the rest of the world thinks the US will go to war with Iraq by ourselves gold will be strong and the dollar weak. As long as all the central banks of the major economies have huge quantities of gold and large debts gold will not stay high forever.

Given my opinion I am planning on digging out some MS 63 gold I have that is not particularly PQ and selling it. My wife has one or two US gold bullion half ounces. I'm trying to talk her into selling those. However she is the type to never sell any of her coins.

Beijim,

Busted! I noticed my misuse of terminology after the fact. Yea, I are edumacated. smile.gif

It seems odd that the plachets receive the matte finish before the strike. It would seem that the finish would be lost due to the flowing of metal during the strike. Anyway, thanks for keeping me honest.

I saw the coin vault guy last night hawking the 03s, and it's so entertaining to watch him! Personally, I didn't notice a huge difference in the coins, but perhaps it was because they were $5 coins, so very small the difference isn't as obvious.

I agree, Robert Chambers is entertaining and informative. That's about all the "Coin Vault" is good for, however. They are extremely overpriced on 99% of all items to take them too seriously. It's also a shame that the only live weekend airing is on Saturday morning. The Sunday morning show is always a re-run.

I went without TV for the past four months by choice. I just recently signed up for cable mainly because of the "Coin Vault".

The difference between the matte and satin finishes are very distinct on the one ounce coins.

Have you checked out cointelevision.com, yet. Seems pretty interesting.

Victor,

It happened that Coin Vault was on TV at the time I read your post, so I'd just received a fresh dose of 2003 matte finish edumacation! Figured I'd volunteer the info while it was fresh...

I too find the Coin Vault entertaining. The co-hosts drive me nuts, as the level of noise they introduce into the signal can be astounding.

You're right about pricing - with few exceptions I find them grossly overpriced. For example, he always says during the 45 years of proof sets speech that you should grab the 1995 proof set if you can find it under $200. This is ludicrous. These routinely sell on eBay for $40-50.

I just bought a 2003 $5 Gold Eagle piece and am looking forward to seeing the new finish. Your point about the matte quality being disrupted during striking is a good one. From what I've seen in photos, however, it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Beijim

Jim (?),

Ah, so the truth comes out ... smile.gif

You're not kidding about the co-hosts. When they were selling the Binion silver hoard in one pound bags, the bonehead co-host, Rob, would slam the bag on the floor to demonstrate its durability. Nothing like professional numismatic conservation.

The prices he would quote for individual proof sets would baffle me, too. Where is he getting his info? $1,000 was pretty steep for the 45 years of proof sets, now it's $150 more. Oh well, even though I've made purchases from them, I usually watch the show for educational and entertainment purposes only.

So, do you think that the mint will produce matte proofs later in the year?

Victor,

Heh heh, yep I enjoy American Eagle coins. Like you, I watch the Coin Vault mostly for entertainment and good clean larnin'. Sometimes I'm astounded at their selective information sifting. I wonder, "who is it exactly who's ordering Proof Silver American Eagles from TV at $39.95 a pop when you can get them directly from the U.S. Mint at $24?"

Matte proofs would be interesting, wouldn't they? Frosted cameo devices against a flat satin finish. Oops, I mean FLAT MATTE FINISH grin.gif.

On the subject of proofs, I wonder if the Treasury is considering proof coinage with holographic devices? I can't help but imagine how some traditional figures such as Lady Liberty, the Statue Of Liberty, and the bald eagle might look.

Beijim