• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1947-S JEFFERSON MS-GEM FULLSTEPS! posted by Jim Berline

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

B. Nagengast: True Gem full-strikes in this year are getting more difficult to find than the 1946-S-1948-S and the 1949-S.

The San Francisco Mint in 1947' produced almost 25 million nickels where the appearance of most coins showed a dull greyish look to them. Sifting thru nickel-rolls can become frustrating at times,however' with determined effort your excitement intensifies having finally' found one for your collection.

This Jefferson nickel came from my raw-nickel collection,and decided to send it in for grading a few weeks ago.Viewing this in its new Ngc holder' > This coin simply rocks!

It makes it all worthwhile and self-rewarding when finally finding one, that's difficult to locate in this condition.This postwar beauty demands attention showing remarkable luster on both-sides of the coin .

--------------------------------------------------------

13243.JPG

See more journals by Jim Berline

That's quite a find! According to NGC census reports there are only 11 of these in 66 5FS, with two more in 66 6FS and 11 in 67 (none of them FS). I have been looking for an upgrade to my MS 66 for years, and they just don't show up for sale.

Congratulations on finding a super-rare raw nickel. Good luck in your search for more!

Very nice nickel Jim. I have been looking for one for at least 2-1/2 years now and they just don't come up that often. I have seen a few in other holders but when you look at the step detail it is lacking. Very nice find indeed.

Doug

[sifting thru nickel-rolls can become frustrating at times,however' with determined effort your excitement intensifies having finally' found one for your collection.

Agreed. Sifting through all coins can be frustrating as 80% are just junk IMHO and the other 20% may be flashy, but only a very small portion cut the mustard. I'll go through a thousand coins and find 1 or 2 that are really keepers for submission...Great find and a beautiful nickel!Todd

Jim----You sure picked a winner there. All in all the patience of searching 1000s pays off in the end. The beauty of it is finding one from the 40s. I really can't wait to send mine in as soon as I catch up on the last submission payments!!!

Rick