• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Lincoln memorials post them if you have them!

7 posts in this topic

I’m a little curious to see all of the different kinds of toning that develop on Lincoln memorial cents. I stumbled across one of the first books that my dad gave me which was an older folder (Whitman by nature but from a different maker) and every one of the memorials had great reverse toning, so I started a new set of toners in my dansco. Here is one, sorry for the pictures I did my best to capture the colors but there are a lot more than what the picture shows.

ngcsociety005_zps667adb15.jpg

ngcsociety004_zps9d01d042.jpg

Here's a 1972 that I have raw. Had forgotten about it but someone mentioned a 1972 raw and I dug this one out. All natural, bought this many years ago and to my recollection it looks pretty much the same.

Sorry for the poor photos, my macro lens is out of commission and believe it or not, the colors are much nicer and vivid in hand.

IMG_2195_1_zps59c88866.jpg

IMG_2196_1_zps0fbf7cec.jpg

Robec_1959Lincoln2_MS.jpg

Bob, that's a lovely coin, but how on earth did PCGS give that coin an MS66+ grade with all of the damage on the steps on the reverse? hm

Robec_1959Lincoln2_MS.jpg

Bob, that's a lovely coin, but how on earth did PCGS give that coin an MS66+ grade with all of the damage on the steps on the reverse? hm

I wasn't surprised the coin was graded, but I would be lying if I were to say the grade didn't surprise me.

I thought the step flaw would limit the grade at 65. It is a very flashy coin in hand, maybe that played a part.

I have a few of these from what was described as being from an original roll. With the exception of the flaw on the steps, all are similar in toning pattern, but more individual in color. I've only had 3 graded so far, with the other 2 being 66RB.

Here are the two MS66RB's.

1959LincMS66RB.jpg

Robec_1959Linc2_MS66RB.jpg