• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Color of Peace...

28 posts in this topic

Picked up a few more of these cool Peace Dollars to go with my first two. Just thought you Peace Dollar fellows might enjoy seeing some Dollar color.

Images By Shane...Thanks Buddy!!!

1922 NGC MS64

1922-A.jpg

1922 NGC MS63

1922-B.jpg

1924 NGC MS64

1924-A.jpg

1924 NGC MS63

1924-B.jpg

If I remember correctly, a few years ago the consensus was that Peace dollars never came with nice colors? While not as flashy as some Morgans, these and others that have been posted are very nice.

I hope this isnt taken the wrong way but was there a change to your photography setup on these? I usually recognize your photos instantly but these do not look like your typical shots.

Thanks one and all for the kind comments. I've sort of taken a liking to these and hope to fill the many holes in the future, and gaining Peace knowledge along the way from you, the more experienced Peace collectors.

I hope this isnt taken the wrong way but was there a change to your photography setup on these?

Not sure if you're asking me or Shane the above question. However, Shane produced the images and I did the cut and paste of the images on the background. To my knowledge he did nothing different. Is there something you notice that's different?

Cheers, and thanks again to all...

The 3rd coin...the one in the fatty is a 314....the first coin....in a new edge view is not a 314

Oh, thanks Shane for addressing the Holder question...he still has the coins and I don't recall the numbers.

I hope this isnt taken the wrong way but was there a change to your photography setup on these? I usually recognize your photos instantly but these do not look like your typical shots.

Like Jim said...I took my regular shots and Jim cropped them with the black border and then merged the obverse and reverse images together so yes not my normal style but I have done that before in the past with coins from my personal collection (thumbs u

Like Jim said...I took my regular shots and Jim cropped them with the black border and then merged the obverse and reverse images together so yes not my normal style but I have done that before in the past with coins from my personal collection (thumbs u

I too noticed the images don't appear that sharp. The last two especially look out of focus. They definitely show the color though.

Just curious...If you (anyone) were to keep just one of the 1922 and 1924, which one would you keep and why? I couldn't decide on the brouse so I just bought all four.

Yep, I know that was crazy... :screwy: But, I'm like that sometimes.

I think #3 is probably a 314 Peace Dollar.

#4 kinda looks like one too, but its in a new prong holder. Maybe is was reholdered.

What is special about the 314 holder? Just an early grading, possible toning enhancer?

The coins in the 314 holder are rumored to be AT...

Some have an aversion to owning a coin that might be questionable toning.

I would be happy to take it off your hands if you if decide you dont want it.

I would keep #2 and #3.

I would also buy #1 and #4 from you...

I would keep 2 and 4. I know 4 is a little darker than most people like but I think theres some beauty in the dark.

Ad for the shots I think JC is right that there may be a slight focus issue. Shane I have publicly claimed you to be IMO the best color guy so its not a knock. It just looks differnet to me. And in #1 for example you can see the light source which one thing about your shots has always been perfect lighting IMO with no signs of the direction of the light to be seen. I hope this isnt taken as a bash but constructive crticism. Maybe the holders were scratched up or foggy? I dont know.

My full sized shots look fine focus wise so I have to assume that it's a product of the shrinking, cropping and merging process etc...also in the first photo no light source can be seen so I am not sure what you think your seeing but here are the uncropped shots:

JGImages017.jpg

JGImages018.jpg

JGImages044.jpg

JGImages047.jpg

I do see some difference. Maybe the shrinkage is the culprit. Or maybe I am used to seeing the slabs as part of your shots and the black background is throwing things off.

I do see some difference. Maybe the shrinkage is the culprit. Or maybe I am used to seeing the slabs as part of your shots and the black background is throwing things off.

The black certainly makes everything different...I noticed it as well

Sorry guy's I been so tied up lately I did not have a chance to say thank you for the opinions of the ones to keep. So, Thank You!!!! I do appreciate the informed advise.

Cheers,

Jim