• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

End of an Era....Beginning of a new adventure!

17 posts in this topic

Hello Collector's Society, been a little while since my last journal.

It's been a time spent in turmoil after coming across some great silver Roosevelts. What I've been debating is the future of my collection, as I've lost most all interest in moderns for collecting. I still thoroughly enjoy the grading process and probably won't quite that part, but the clad dimes have lost their "luster" so to speak... The silver issues are quite a bit more intriguing and have a finite limit to the set, instead of hundreds of years of the same boring thing - the mint needs another Roosevelt, Teddy that is, in the White House. The later issues in the Roosevelt series, just like about every other modern issue have become so dogmatic that they are lifeless and boring (IMO).

So, with that said I'll be divesting my clad Roosevelt's and most of my moderns in the coming weeks/months and adding to my silver Roosevelt's and perhaps another mid 20th Century collection - to paraphrase- "when coins were coins". Haven't decided what else I may pursue but could be Buffalo Nickels, V Nickels or SLQ's - who knows...

This was a tough decision for me, but I believe the right one given some beautful coins that became available to me in the silver Roosies set.

God Bless and Happy Collecting!

Todd

PS - Today's pic - 1949 D MS 67 * FT Obverse

13234.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd,

As you are so good at finding some great modern coins that really took me by surprise.

I have Walkers---Morgans---Silver Dimes--- & a few others. Let me know where you are headed!!!

Rick

I must admit, you've caught my feelings exactly. I've never been a fan really of any of our circulating coinage since they took the true silver dollars away. Oh sure, there are the proof silver dimes, quarters and halves, but honestly, I am really bored with designs of our current coinage.

Please don't misunderstand, I believe Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt (although I do like the suggestion about putting Teddy on a coin), Washington and Kennedy belong on a coin, but quite frankly not for as long as these coins have been circulating.

If it hadn't been for the Westward Journey nickels, the state and park quarters and a few silver commems, I wouldn't have any modern coins in my collection.

OK I guess I'm finished now. Thanks for reading.

You have always had interesting discussions, Todd.

My interests are different than yours. I collect certified PL coins.

Were any of your coins PL? If any were, will you be selling any of them?

Thanks, Larry Queen

I think it is amazing how many collectors share similar thoughts! I have been trying to decide what direction I am going to go since my GSA set is done. I almost feel like I have empty nest syndrome!

I have also been eyeing Buffalo Nickels. For some reason they really intrigue me. Great history, plenty of supply, yet there are plenty of rarities. It was funny because when I first mentioned this I had a few emails from our fellow collectors stating they were looking at Buffalos too.

Whichever way you go Todd, I bet it will be a fun journey!

Todd,

As you are so good at finding some great modern coins that really took me by surprise.

I have Walkers---Morgans---Silver Dimes--- & a few others. Let me know where you are headed!!!

Rick

Rick,

I don't plan to give up looking at and grading moderns, as this is an inexpensive way to stay connected to the hobby and have a blast doing it. The way I look at it is I'm just changing how I spend my collecting $.

Todd

I must admit, you've caught my feelings exactly. I've never been a fan really of any of our circulating coinage since they took the true silver dollars away. Oh sure, there are the proof silver dimes, quarters and halves, but honestly, I am really bored with designs of our current coinage.

Please don't misunderstand, I believe Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt (although I do like the suggestion about putting Teddy on a coin), Washington and Kennedy belong on a coin, but quite frankly not for as long as these coins have been circulating.

If it hadn't been for the Westward Journey nickels, the state and park quarters and a few silver commems, I wouldn't have any modern coins in my collection.

OK I guess I'm finished now. Thanks for reading.

Agreed. The mint needs to get a fresh outlook and make a wholesale change in the designs. Where are the modern equivalents to St. Gaudens, Fraser, Weinman, etc...

You have always had interesting discussions, Todd.

My interests are different than yours. I collect certified PL coins.

Were any of your coins PL? If any were, will you be selling any of them?

Thanks, Larry Queen

Larry,

Currently none of them are PL. I've graded a few over the past couple of years, but they are hard to come by, especially in high grades.

Todd

I think it is amazing how many collectors share similar thoughts! I have been trying to decide what direction I am going to go since my GSA set is done. I almost feel like I have empty nest syndrome!

I have also been eyeing Buffalo Nickels. For some reason they really intrigue me. Great history, plenty of supply, yet there are plenty of rarities. It was funny because when I first mentioned this I had a few emails from our fellow collectors stating they were looking at Buffalos too.

Whichever way you go Todd, I bet it will be a fun journey!

I guess we all face similar challenges and since we all love coins, I guess we are somewhat likeminded. I agree with you about the intrigue of the Buffalo nickel and could ultimately be the way I go.

Todd

I must say that you caught me by surprise. However, I should not have because I've been there before and I know what you're talking about. There comes a time in everyone's life for something fresh and new. Maybe this is why I love theme based sets because all the coins are different. At any rate Todd, I wish all God's best to you as you pursue other coins for your collection.

Gary

I agree about the modern coin designs. It will be hard to take a president off the obverse of modern coinage, but there is no artistry to them like the older coins.

I was not around in 1921, but it would have been very cool to live in an era that had circulated coin designs like the Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, SLQ, WLH, Morgan dollars and Peace Dollars. Instead we have a presidents portrait on all the coins!

Todd, the thought of parting with any of my collection makes my stomach turn, so I can respect the time you put into this decision.

I think I'll echo everyone's sentiments about the Buffalo Nickels. I was looking into starting a short set later in the year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to move on to. We'll always be here to cheer you on!

Marcus

Todd

I must say that you caught me by surprise. However, I should not have because I've been there before and I know what you're talking about. There comes a time in everyone's life for something fresh and new. Maybe this is why I love theme based sets because all the coins are different. At any rate Todd, I wish all God's best to you as you pursue other coins for your collection.

Gary

Thanks Gary! I have thought about starting a thematic collection, but just haven't found the right subject yet. Who knows - might figure this one out yet.

Todd

I was not around in 1921, but it would have been very cool to live in an era that had circulated coin designs like the Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, SLQ, WLH, Morgan dollars and Peace Dollars. Instead we have a presidents portrait on all the coins!

I couldn't agree more... I'm sure everyone in 1921 underappreciated the beauty of our coinage!

Todd, the thought of parting with any of my collection makes my stomach turn, so I can respect the time you put into this decision.

I think I'll echo everyone's sentiments about the Buffalo Nickels. I was looking into starting a short set later in the year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to move on to. We'll always be here to cheer you on!

Marcus

Marcus -

I seem to be leaning towards the Buff's - hadn't really contemplated or realized that there was a short set. Cool way to get in and not feel like you have to find a hundred coins to complete the set. Thanks for the idea!!!

Todd

I agree with you TD...I think this is another reason I enjoy the Prez dollars, 4 new designs each year. (and the state park quarters and Sac dollars too). It is also why I was so disappointed in the current cent, when they did not change the obverse Lincoln image. Good luck!