• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting Up! posted by JWR070372

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Starting new collection for my wife.

Hello One and All,

You can see by my collection that I am a novice to Numismatist. I have a few coins within my collection but, I would like to work toward a collection for my wife. I've started on the series of Chinese 1oz. Panda coins starting from current date back to her birth year. She doesn't know that I'm doing this and I think that it would be a very nice gesture. I would like to make the whole collection MS69 or better. She always claims that I don't show my love to her but, now I can make this collection and she can have the collection and see and feel it for herself how much she truly means to me.

JWR070372

See more journals by JWR070372

Are you sure that building a set of pandas will show her love ???

Last month I gave my wife extra cash and told her to go get her hair done the way and color she wants. This works very well!!!

Dinner, movie, "attention". Simple things make a woman feel loved ---- not coins. :)

I'm gonna let her find a good movie on the TV this weekend and cuddle on the couch.

Dr. Rick (married over 20 years and our LOVE gets stronger every year)

I have to agree with Rick on this one. Spending time with her, Waking up a little early and helping with the house work and a few extra Dollars her way to do with as she wants will go much farther to prove your Love than a set of pandas will. As it may be the time you spend on coins that makes her fell under loved. this is just IMHO.

Happy collecting and may God Bless .................Mike

All the previous suggestions are good ones that I can't add much to. However, I can share a little from my own personal experience. My wife loves teddy bears and collects cherished teddies. From my experience with her at coin shows, I know she loves pandas also.

One year at the ANA show my wife and I walked past a panda display and she asked me if I could get her one. I said we would stop by later before going home. After a while, as promised, we went back and I got her her panda. Thinking pretty good about the day, we started for home. However, on our way out the door my wife noticed a colorized panda and asked me if I could get her that one too. Well after I had already performed my marital duty, I felt justified in saying no, after all we had already spent what was budgeted for the day. The walk to the car from the bourse floor was a long one, and on that walk my wife told me in these exact words, "I should have nagged you more for the colored panda." Gentlemen, I will never forget those words. They totally took me by surprise, but I stuck to my guns as I tried to explain that pandas have no color but black and white and the regular pandas have that in the frosty and polished surfaces of the coin.

Now fast forward a year or so and I found a colorized panda for auction on Great Collections. I placed a bid on it and won the coin without my wife's knowledge. When It showed up at our house, I asked her to open the package at which time she expressed her joy at finally getting her colored panda.

I have said all this to say maybe a well placed panda for your wife here and there might be a better option than a one time gift of a set. Be as creative as you want, a panda with chocolates on valentines day, a panda in flowers on Mothers Day. You know what your wife appreciates better than the rest of us. At the very minimum if she doesn't respond well to one panda, you will not have went through the expense of buying a complete set! All the best.

Gary

Follow this link for a special tribute coin and journal to my wife and myself on our 30th anniversary.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=11829

Be as creative as you want, a panda with chocolates on valentines day, a panda in flowers on Mothers Day. You know what your wife appreciates better than the rest of us. At the very minimum if she doesn't respond well to one panda, you will not have went through the expense of buying a complete set! All the best.

Gary

Follow this link for a special tribute coin and journal to my wife and myself on our 30th anniversary.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=11829

This sounds more like a better way to show attention with Pandas included! :whee:

I’d share some advice my lovely wife shared with me,

“don’t buy me appliances or pots and pans for my birthday, make it personal”

Over he last 25 years I have developed that advice into a mantra. “I let my wife have her shoes”. I don’t begrudge my wife anything she really wants, within reason, I don’t put up a fuss when she goes thrift shopping with her girl friends for junk or comes home with three pairs of shoes and a blouse that doesn’t fit.

She "needs" the act of going out to find these things not the actual need so much and she returns half of the stuff anyhow, she can window shop for hours and that just drives me to distraction, then crazy!

If it makes her happy, I’m a happy guy, when she looks at me crossways for a coin I bought, I hold up a Shoe!

Just my 2 cents….all the best,

Larry