• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found weird error cent in pocket change, help ID?

10 posts in this topic

Here is a 1986 LC that seems to have the reverse stamped over the obverse w/ some planchet material, and a smaller stamp on the reverse (Kind of shows chest of Lincoln).

I KNOW I am a crappy photographer, but I did my best to take clear pics. For some reason I can't seem to get the entire coin in focus at once...so I racked focus on different parts of the coin so every area has at least one pic in focus!

I even played with the enhancements so you can see more detail. I have 3 questions:

1. what's the error called?

2. Is it worth getting slabbed?

3. Do these carry premiums?

IMG_5830_zpse8e43255.jpgIMG_5831_zps49c95771.jpgIMG_5832_zpsab728d71.jpgIMG_5833_zps97828ec7.jpgIMG_5834_zps843d0118.jpgIMG_5835_zps494ebfdc.jpgIMG_5836_zps8e3cdd25.jpgIMG_5837_zps276b73cd.jpgIMG_5838_zps68adda83.jpgIMG_5839_zps43655651.jpgIMG_5840_zps1873d62f.jpg

Soak it in acetone for a couple days

it looks like it is glue and should separate

the thin plating layer of the reverse by itself, would be rather cool

Back in the early 60 's I saw that for the first time - "Elmer's Glue Trick" -

and my best coin friend and I tried it with mixing denominations - Cents w/ Dimes, etc.

Not knowing we were creating fake mules at the time.

Hey - I was only 13 - I didn't know better - plus we

didn't mess with collector coins.

Are you saying no metal involved? just glue?

Correct! The glue becomes a mold of the reverse and remains on the coin when they are separated.

Chris

You can get a similar effect by putting two coins together and impacting them with a hammer such that the design of one coin is transfered to the other coin.